$60 rental equipment now costing us $2k…bc it's LOST.

posted 2 years ago in Money
Post # 2
528 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014 - Columbia, SC

imnotorange:  Wow! That is awful and a very difficult situation. Have you spoken with said aunt/uncle?

Post # 3
2179 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2024

Wow that really sucks.

Sadly, I don’t think you can ask cousin to pay although this really was his wife and his fault. However if he asks you for repayment of his equipement or suggests it I would absolutely say no and that you already paid a $2k bill when you didn’t even ASK for him to be your videographer.

Post # 4
3044 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

Anybody else wonder if this cousin will show up with a “new tripod!” at some point?

Post # 5
4024 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

imnotorange:  I would be pissed too! You’re now taking on a $2,000 charge because he NEEDED something you didn’t want! I guess I’m not understanding why he and his wife shouldn’t have to pay (even for part) because it was his demand and their fault it was lost. 

Post # 6
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I don’t think you should be responsible for that bill.

Post # 7
6026 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Contact your credit card company. Some of them may offer insurance of sorts in situations like this. Amex is usually best in this regard, although I’ve only used their coverage when I lost an item I had bought with my Amex, not something I’d rented. Homeowners or renters insurance may cover it as well but I would be reluctant to file a claim for $2000, since the deductable will be $500-1000 with most policies, and most companies raise your premiums when you make claims.

I would also sit the cousin down and explain that, while he was doing you a favor, it’s his negligence that caused him to lose an item you didn’t ask for and didn’t want.  Split the bill with him.  In many courts, because he was acting as your agent (authorized to use the rental gear, and using it for your benefit) you would be awarded only half the damages, not the full amount.

Post # 8
1473 posts
Bumble bee

Bazinga:  Why do you think the OP can’t ask the cousin to pay for this? I am all about being polite and doing the right thing, but I dont even see how the couple should be responsible for this. Other than the fact if the purchase is under her DH’s name, then legally it is their responsibility, but morally it should not be.

Post # 9
4876 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

imnotorange:  Unfortunately, I think you are on the hook for this one. You gave in and rented the tripods yourself.

Post # 10
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

imnotorange:  I agree with Horseradish. Contact your insurance company and see. Some of them have policies on theft that may include items you’ve rented. I assume from this thread that you didn’t purchase wedding insurance? If you did, that would cover it.

I highly recommend to any bees reading this to purchase wedding insurance for situations like this! It only cost us around $100 and covers theft, loss, damage, accidents, people getting hurt, a cancelled wedding, etc.

Post # 11
2052 posts
Buzzing bee

Do you even know the cab company?

I once dropped my phone in a cab (fell out of my pocket when I got out) and I called the cab company in hopes that maybe they had it. Not only did they have my phone, they offered to drive it down to me! I was blown away.

Anyway, even if it is lost forever I would hold the cousin responsible for it. It was entrusted in his care, I don’t see how anyone but him should be responsible for it.

Post # 12
187 posts
Blushing bee

Horseradish:  I think you would be hard pressed to find a court that would award any damages here. Legally the person who rented it is responsible for the equipment. The couple allowed the cousin to control the equipment. In order for the cousin to be responsible for damages, there would have had to have been an agreement that they were liable, intent to cause the damage, or gross negligence that caused the damages.

There is no evidence that there was an agreement or intent. Gross negligence is tough to prove in this situation. They didn’t do anything that would be considered unreasonable to do with the equipment, and absent other evidence if the cab drove off and the can’t be identified then they are out of luck. The only person liable to the couple is the driver who apparently made off with the equipment.

It would be nice of the cousin to help out the couple but not knowing every one’s financial picture I don’t think we should be too quick to judge.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  MakingHerWait.
Post # 13
2455 posts
Buzzing bee

What cab company did you use? I’m sure it could be tracked down.

Post # 14
2455 posts
Buzzing bee

Call back the number you called to get the cab

Post # 15
187 posts
Blushing bee

playdohpants:  a_day_at_the_fair:  This was in NYC, there aren’t advertised cab companies like in other cities, there are about 14,000 cabs in NYC almost all operating at the same time, with nearly identical markings, this is not the same as it would be in 99% of the rest of the country.

Odds are the cab was never called, just waved down.

This is how you go about finding stuff lost in cabs in NYC http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/1281/yellow-taxi-lost-and-found

That being said drivers know there is almost no chance of you identifying them so you are likely out of luck if they decided to just keep it.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  MakingHerWait.
Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors