60″ Tables— Will 10 be too crowded??

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
233 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

10 will be tight. Think about it- that means each of your guests gets a 6 inch spot around the edge of the table. That’s not really enough, when you consider the size of an average dinner plate, plus glasses, purses, elbows, flatware etc etc.

Post # 4
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

A 60″ table will be fine for 10 people, as long as your guests are average size.

Post # 5
1851 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I worked at a restaurant for 3 years. I think it will be a VERY tight fit.

Post # 6
1066 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Halls do it all the time around here… we are having tables of 10 with 60″ tables, and doing charger plates!!!!

Post # 7
1486 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I was going to do 8 bc I thought 10 would be tight, but my caterer told me that 10 fits just fine. 

Post # 8
1124 posts
Bumble bee

I’m putting 12 around a 72″ so I think that would be fine.

Post # 9
35 posts

My venue offers the sixty inch tables too but since I am trying to fit more guest in, I rented seventy_two inch tables from a rental place in hopes of using fewer tables.  Maybe you can rent some larger tables.

Post # 10
1328 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Wow!  we have 72″ rounds and it comfortably fits 8!

Post # 11
1046 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

We only put 8 chairs around our 60″ round. I think 10 would be been too tight (our caterer didn’t even give us the option–she asked if we wanted 6 or 8).

Post # 12
2600 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

10 is the maximum guests at a 60″ table, 12 for a 72″ table.

Depending on the set up of the tables and how much china is involved, it should be fine. 

I’ve been a wedding coordinator for years, and you should be fine with tables averaging 8-10 guests. 

Do think about your guest list though – if you have any guests who are considerably larger or have canes/walkers/wheelchairs try to put a little less at those tables.

Generally, unless your venue room is HUGE, it’s better to have full tables but less of them to keep an open feel to things.

Good luck!

Post # 14
1166 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

10 is the MAX for a 60″ table, but it is not comfortable for your guests – they will bump elbows. I used 60″ rounds and I had 8 seats at most tables. Some went down to 7 and some went up to 9, but I did not want to go up to 10 because I find it extremely crowded myself. Here’s a picture with 8 settings.

Post # 15
71 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Ability to fit and comfort are two different things. My venue told me the 60″ could fit up to 9 and the 72′ can fit up to 11. I think you also have to take into consideration all of the stuff on the table- centerpieces, plates, water glasses, drink glasses, etc. Because people are eating they need some elbow room. I would stick with the 8 per table if you can.

Post # 16
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

My venue has 60 inch tables – several of our tables had 10 people and it was fine, maybe a little cozy, but not uncomfortable. In fact, my husband and I sat at a 10 person table.  I think it’s a lot more important to have like groups of friends/family sitting together, rather than having the same # of people at each table, so we had tables of 10, 8, even some with 6 or 7.  If I have 5 couples who are good friends, I would not split them up just so they have some more elbow room.  As a guest, I want to sit with my friends that I don’t get to see very often!

Our centerpieces were not huge and there was not a lot of “extra” stuff at each table, no chargers or favors or anything to take up extra space.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors