(Closed) $600!!!! for a cake !!! :(

posted 7 years ago in Food
Post # 3
18645 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Maybe you should consider making it a one tier cake (with fake tiers) and then a sheet cake to serve everyone?  That can cut down on costs a lot.

Post # 4
10288 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

I actually think that’s a great price for what you’re getting. We’re paying $600 for our 3 tiered cake. Given it has canoli filling and 100+ hand painted, fondant leaves but still…

Post # 5
5110 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2011

I have a four tier cake that serves 100 and a grooms cake that serves 50 and the total came to 516 the four tier cake was around 350 so I think you should continue to look around. 

Post # 7
2701 posts
Sugar bee

Anything beyond five tiers, you can expect $500 or more. This is about what I would charge,but I deliver for free. A quality cake that actually tastes good is worth paying for IMO.

Post # 8
1761 posts
Buzzing bee

It depends where you are. That sounds inexpensive/average to me. Around here, a cake like that would cost over $1,000! $5 per slice was about the minumum that we found–although buttercream instead of fondant could bring it down to $4. Even the budget cake we found would have been $650. We ended up going with an amateur because we just couldn’t stomach the professional prices around here. I live in a major metropolitan area, though.

Post # 9
988 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

for what you are describing, that price sounds right to me

Post # 9
491 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

IMO – it seems like a good deal.

We were talking with a Bakery earlier wanting 450.00 to start out a sqaured 4 tier cake.. and that’s not including any extra’s or flowers. If you want big, you pay big.

Post # 11
76 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Mine is a three tier cake for 800… it’s a specialty vegan cake that has to be delivered from about 80 miles away.

Post # 12
1526 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I had the same feeling when I was cake shopping.  Luckily, my mother is really excited about the wedding (and has some extra time on her hands) so she signed up for a 12 week cake making class.  She is going to make our wedding cake for us!

My mom is not the most creative person and has little artistic talent.  However, the fact that she is making our cake for us means so much to me I could care less how it looks!

Post # 14
3257 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

We were appalled by the cost of cake, especially because SO and I hate cake ourselves! So we ordered a bunch of different pies from our local kick-ass bakery and served 150 people for $220! 😉 People loved it! 

If you really want cake, a friend of mine ordered a small fancy cake for her and her hubby, and they had cutely decorated sheet cakes for everyone else to save money. It saved her a fortune, and no one cared at all! I have never heard of a bakery not charging a cheaper rate for sheet cakes, so if this person is not willing to work with you, I would shop around a bit. 

The topic ‘$600!!!! for a cake !!! :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors