(Closed) 7 Baby Items You Don’t Need to Buy

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
7083 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

We love our swing.  She only liked certain ones, so we were glad we checked out several at Babies R Us before we settled on one.

I would add Boppy to the list.  Thing that works best for us is a regular flat pillow.  I know some people swear by it, but it just sits here collecting dust.

Also, we’re cloth diapering but I hear that people really, really do not use their diaper genies.

Post # 4
809 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

My daughter is almost 7 years old now but i just felt the need to read this….

I am gonna say definately a diaper genie… total piece of crap and still stinky… I always tied ours up in a plastic grocery bag.

I had a swing and it was a lifesaver for me….

I am going to say a walker… I never had a desire for one I think they are a waste

I am also gonna say a 5 in 1 transitional crib…. the one that goes from a baby crib to a toddler bed to a transitional bed to a full size headboard….. yeah we should have just went with a crib and saved some money…

You cant find anything that is cute for a toddler bed as far as bedding goes that is not a tv character… and from the time my daughter was 3 she has been in a twin bed… we started her out with a twin bed & box springs on the floor then after about a year moved her to the full blown twin bed

Expensive baby toys… I has some things but really untilyour baby really gets older improvise make things at home (small plastic bottles with dried beans, glue lid on, instant rattle)  and give them a wooden spoon and a pot … or a box

I loved loved the lavender baby stuff… it smelled so good

Post # 5
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

As a child protection worker, one of the BIGGEST things I have learned that parents don’t need… and are dangerous for babies and SIDS is bumper pads… YOU DONT NEED THEM!! lol they are incredibly dangerous, and increase risk of infant death.  I get frustrated when I see all these sets that come with bumper pads

Post # 6
435 posts
Helper bee

Has anyone seen organic baby clothes?  I’d say that isn’t necessary.

Post # 7
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

If I had to do it all over again, I would nix about 90% of all baby gear. A basket for the newborn, a mattress on the floor thereafter, a stroller, potty chair and a high chair. I shudder to thinkof all the money I wasted on baby gear years ago. At least I had the sense not to buy baby food. Cream of Rice for cereal and just used a blender to make my own.

Post # 8
1237 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I have no babies, so I have no insight on this, but I wanted to add on the topic of diaper genies: isn’t the “result” of diaper genies like, the worst thing to add to landfills? I’m no expert, and I know there aren’t many desirable eco-friendly alternatives to disposable diapers, but wrapping and sealing them in more plastic seems terrible!

Post # 10
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

FYI- I buy used baby clothes ALL the time and I LOVE the liquid blue OXYCLEAN Spray.  It takes almost everything out, I spray and let sit overnight, then wash.  Sometimes I have had to repeat a couple more times, but I think I only had 2 things that it didn’t remove. I think it works better than the powder on stains.  🙂

Post # 11
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I actually love the Boppy. I would say, baby glider, bumper pad, wipe warmer, bottle warmer, toys for newborns??, More than 5 stuffed animals, expensive clothes, “3rd” foods, and biter biscuts (I found those messy and dangerous).

Post # 13
245 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2007 - Rosary Chapel & Monterey Marriott, Monterey, CA

Wow… such a different list than I would have.

My rocker (big comfy chair/rocker/recliner) is invaluable, as is the Diaper genie and the baby swing.

We don’t have anything else on that list… but expensive clothes would be the biggest pet peeve. So silly to spend so much money for something that is worn 1-2x before it’s outgrown.

Post # 14
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I love a good baby swing! I called it my Shut Up Machine when my girls were babies. LOVE A SWING!

I never really used a boppy as intended either. I’m kind of “meh” on them.

I never had a diaper genie. I have a 9 yr old who still wears diapers and I have always put them in grocery bags for both of my girls. Sorry, I know it’s bad for the environment, but it works for me. My new baby will be in cloth diapers, so at least there’s that.

I spent waaaaayyyyy too much $$ on baby clothes for my daughters.

Post # 16
540 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Boppy, Slings, Diaper Genie, Baby Bath, Expensive toys, Baby lotion (I never used it).

The topic ‘7 Baby Items You Don’t Need to Buy’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors