7 Crippling Parenting Behaviors That Keep Children From Growing Into Leaders

posted 3 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

I love this article!  Thanks for posting.

Post # 6
2657 posts
Sugar bee

Thanks for sharing!  The points made in the article are really great.  My FI and I were actually talking about the first point a few days ago.  My parents refused to let me play sports because of the possibility of getting hurt and I think that caused issues with my development.  I was chubby, lazy, and I didn’t really work well in teams, and it took years of work to undo those behaviors.  FI and I agree that we aren’t making that mistake if we have kids.

Post # 8
6740 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I like the article and mostly agree with it, but I worry about the idea that we are holding kids back from being “leaders”. Not all kids (people) are meant to be leaders. Not everyone can lead. I think that the article is great about just parenting in general.

Post # 11
6740 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

If that is the intention, then if course that makes sense. we should not bubble wrap them. 

Post # 12
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Yes.  Yes.  Absolutely.  

Post # 14
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

Overall, I like it.  But I’m not sure I agree with #3.

My father is very realistic.  I don’t feel like he doesn’t live in reality when it comes to knowing my competencies and limits.  He’s my biggest advocate and cheerleader.  When I need a pep talk, my dad will be the first one to tell me how smart, beautiful, and capable I am.  Sometimes I really need the self-esteem boost to psych me up.  It definitely has not caused me to become a liar and a cheater.

#4-6 are gold!  Although again, I disagree with not sharing stories regarding addiction.  Addiction is a disease, and I think that kids should be educated on it just like they are educated about chicken pox, AIDS, and obesity.

Post # 15
573 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I read this yesterday and LOVED IT!

Post # 16
2247 posts
Buzzing bee

I completely agree with this article.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors