7 days in Maui – what are the "musts" ?

posted 3 years ago in Travel
Post # 3
190 posts
Blushing bee

I think you’ve already got the main attractions covered. If you have time to explore, maybe check out Ali’i Kula Lavender farm. I was born and raised on Maui so not really into touristy things, but I always enjoy a drive upcountry and walking around the lavender field and gardens. They have yummy lavender tea and these wonderful scones with lilikoi jam. Plus you have a great view looking down into the valley at central Maui and you can see the ocean on both sides.

There’s also a winery in Kula at Ulupalakua Ranch called Tedeschi Vineyards that lets you sample wines.

Bring warm clothes for Haleakala if you go to watch the sunrise! It’s super cold! Also, be sure to check out the black sand beach in Hana. It’s amusing to have little rocks in your swimsuit rather than sand. Seven Sacred Pools also known as Oheo Gulch is a must visit in Hana.

Post # 4
816 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I love Maui! Here are my suggeations:

1. When you take the road to Hana, dont turn around. Go all the way around the island…you will see so many other types of land that you didnt even know were possible on Maui. At one point, you would swear you were in a desert. Be very careful on your drive, though, as there are many, many points where you are on a two lane road with only room for one car at a time right next to a cliff. It is an all day thing.

2. Since you are staying near kaanapali, you must go to the Gazebo restaurant and order the macadamia pancakes with coconut whipped cream. They are out of this world and the wait is usually a couple of hours, so order them to go and eat them by the pool (it’s at a hotel.) I would consider swimming to Maui for those.

Post # 5
21 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I’m posting to follow.  My FI and I are spending 7 days in Maui for our honeymoon this coming July!  Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! 🙂

Post # 6
212 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

I loved the road to hana!  It was super fun and really pretty.  Along the way there were quite a few people selling fruit and other things.  We stopped and bought banana bread and it was the best banana bread I’ve ever had!

Post # 7
1355 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@luckylady3090:  I’m going to Maui in July for 4 nights, too (another 4 in Kauai) and I would love to go to a lavender field and have lavender tea! Thanks for sharing!

Post # 10
950 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@MissGeeBee:  go for sushi if you don’t live on the coast… super delicious high quality fish that you can’t get at home.  Lahaina and Kihei are fun to walk around.

Post # 12
724 posts
Busy bee

If you’re into local art, Makawao is a nice “rustic” little town with tiny boutiques and art galleries. Everything is in walking distance and it’s a quiet stop if you’re exploring the Paia area.

Lahaina is a fun town with a pretty spectacular banyan tree just off the main street, and it’s a fantastic place to take a whalewatching charter if you are interested.

Post # 13
2091 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@MissGeeBee:  Spend an afternoon watching the hardcore surfers up at Jaws Beach near Paia! AMAZING. We also rented a Harley Davidson and drove around (including the road to Hana) for the week on that which was incredible. Also check out Makena Beach! Huge waves, super fun to swim in. But be careful because it’s more dangerous than it looks and locals even call in Breakneck Beach. Here are some pics of our trip last March. 

Beach at Hana

My FI on our Harley

Photo time at Jaws Beach

Boogie boarding (forget which beach this was)

Have fun!!!! Maui is INCREDIBLE! We can’t wait to go back. In fact, I think I would be pretty content if I only ever vacationed in Maui for the rest of our lives. Lol. It’s seriously awesome. 

Post # 16
433 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@MissGeeBee:  I second the extra warm clothes for the sunrise at Haleakala! I think you’ve covered all the good stuff 🙂

I want to share a couple photos from my Haleakala experience. It was cold and windy as hell but well worth waking up at a crazy hour. We did the bike tour down the volcano after the sunrise, it was fun!

You could see the Big Island from the summit. Amaaaaazing.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors