7 different bridesmaid dresses, 7 different prices – help!

posted 3 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 2
537 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Can you just let them choose whatever dress they want out of the 12? That way they can decide the price they feel comfortable paying. 

Post # 4
1893 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX

amoore2:  I think that seems fair! I would be annoyed if I was a bridesmaid and paying $179 while another was only paying $99.

Post # 5
7281 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

Why not let them choose amongst the 12 first? If any 2 maids choose the same dress, speak privately with them and find out if one would be willing to switch to another dress. If she does, and dress pick #2 is more expensive than dress pick #1, then you could pay for the difference, since you are asking her to spend more than she originally chose to.

Post # 6
4581 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Have all of your BM’s tried on the dresses yet? I only ask because I went out this week with one of my BM’s, as I told her and my MOH that they can pick any style as long as it was in this one designer, chiffon fabric and was long.

She tried on every single long style (about 10 of them), and although they looked nice online, it really varies on what they look like in person and on the person. So, there may be one dress that flatters more than just one girl. So besides price, this may be a factor as well.

Post # 8
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I really think you should let them choose their own, even if a couple girls do choose the same dress, will it ruin wedding day? Probably not!  

Post # 9
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I also have 7 bridesmaids. We orderd the dresses from an etsy seller and the lagrer sizes were a few dollars more. I paid up front and divided the cost equally as i did not think it was fair that the smaller girls would pay less then the curvier ones. 

Post # 10
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

kelowna2014:  Ditto.  With 7 I doubt anyone will notice if a couple have the same dress.  It won’t be fair if say 3 girls love one style but only one can wear it!

Post # 11
1168 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

amoore2:   I picked out a designer, color, fabric and length for my 5 bridesmaids and said pick whichever ones you want (out of about 30 choices). They all picked the same one, which ended up being one of the more expensive choices. It just is what it is. I’d let them pick

Post # 12
1878 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Valparaiso, IN

i had 5 different dresses for my bridesmaids. The reason I did that was so they could pick a style that they liked on them AND keep it in their price range. I don’t think it would be fair to average out the price of all 7 dresses. All I told the girls was that it had to be satin, either Kelly green or marine blue (I designated the colors based on if they were BM or MOH, and the length. 

Post # 13
9525 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

First, I’d let them pick whichever they want, even if a couple end up in the same dress.

Second, I’d just have them pay individually and I’d have them pay the salon directly so you don’t have to be involved in paying for their dresses. But if you like the idea of averaging it out, I’d ask them, before they pick dresses,if they would prefer to average or pay individually. Seriously, just take a hand vote. Majority wins. 

Post # 14
720 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

amoore2: I first want to address your concerns but I’m also gonna ask you a questionwhich might help you out. So you asked if it was fair to divide the amount of all the dress’ total by 7 because you want all your girls to pay the same amount. I definitely think your solution is fair and as long as al your dresses fit your girls budget thats all that should matter. I know I tried to keep everything fair so I choose a bm dress that was in my girls budget and that the designers didn’t charge extra for plus size as I have different ranges in sizes in my weddng party. 

Here is my questions though:

Ive seen on shows such as SYTTBD (bridesmaid dresses) that Lori has made point before to pick 2-3 dresses from the same designer/material etc but doesn’t have to be the same dress. I know you want 7 different dresses but is it possible to find a desinger that you like and pick out 7 dresses around the same price instead of having 7 different prices so all the girls pay the same? I know that can be hard to find 7 different dresses by the same designer but maybe once you and your girls get out to the salon, the staff can help you out with recommendations. Maybe you can find 2 designers, same fabric, around the same cost that you can find different dresses to go with your look/feel you want for your wedding. Good Luck 😀 

Post # 15
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

kimmo416:  I personally would be more annoyed if my dress only cost $99 but I was forced to pay $179.

amoore2:  I’d let the girls pick the dress they want and pay for it themselves.  If anyone needs help affording the dress, then I would help them out individually.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors