7 Month Old Wakes Up Too Early

posted 2 years ago in Babies
Post # 2
4410 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

My baby went through this, too for a while. Having her stay up later did not help us, either. For us, it was just kind of a phase that she had to grow out of (and she did). I find that she goes through phases where she sleeps later and phases where she wakes up earlier. We just keep her bedtime consistent and hope for the best. She woke up at 4:30 this morning (because of the time change — argh). 

One thing I did do when she was waking up SUPER early (like before 5 or 5:30) was to creep into her room, give her some milk, and put her back in her crib. This worked about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time she was just plain awake.

Post # 3
1965 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I would say he is waking out of habit, and because you go into him at that time he knows that when he wakes you will come.

DD went through this too. We tried an earlier bedtime which did work sometimes but we found that shorter naps were the answer for us. DD was getting too much sleep during the day. We also found that pushing her first nap back half an hour had a good effect too. Sometimes if the morning nap is too close to wake time its counter productive.

You can try not going into him straight away when he wakes too early. leave him for 20 minutes to see if he settles back down and goes back to sleep.

Do you use black out blinds? We use one that sticks to the window and the dark room really helps DD sleep better.

DD was an early riser up until she was around 13 months old. she now wakes at between 8 and 9am…. there is still hope!

Post # 4
1849 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Just want to make sure I am reading this correctly…your child is strapped into a high chair and left to watch Baby Einstein, unattended, while your husband goes back to sleep? Is that correct? 

Post # 5
132 posts
Blushing bee

My ds is 2 and has always gone to sleep late wakes early never naps. Say if he goes to sleep at 10pm he will wake at 2/3am and that’s him up for the day. He’s been like this since birth. My dd’s have always been amazing sleepers and will sleep anything from 12-15 hours a night! But ds is one of those children who doesn’t need much sleep. 

Post # 6
1965 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

keepsmiling19:  I read that tool but chose not to acknowledge it in hope OP  was watching her son in his highchair whilst DH caught up on sleep……Isnt that right OP??

Post # 7
1849 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

ChocolateLime:  That’s why I am asking…hoping to prevent a misunderstanding :-). That’s why I chose to acknowledge it.

Post # 8
3531 posts
Sugar bee

keepsmiling19:  Read that too, but hopefully it was a typo?  A big one.

megz06:  I should note, every time we give her a bottle, we watch her until she’s finished to make sure she doesn’t choke on it.  So yes, we don’t get much sleep, but it keeps our minds at ease.

This is our almost 10 month old’s schedule

7:30 wake up, husband goes in gives her a bottle, let’s her drink it, and then she goes back to sleep till 9:30.

9:30 she wakes up and eats breakfast, oatmeal or rice cereal Plays around until lunch time, she eats solids again.

12:30-1:30 she goes down for a nap, and then wakes up around 3:15-3:30, sometimes 4.

5:30-6pm she gets another bottle and a nap.

7:30-8:00, she wakes up, gets one last solid meal, and then bathtime.

8:30-10:00 (possibly) she gets to play around and have fun, before being put down for the night.  we give her one last bottle to go to sleep with.

She eats three solid meals a day, and has since she was 6.5-7 months old and has been sleeping through the night since she was 2.5 months old. One thing about her room though is it’s kept dark with only a nightlight on for nap time and bed time. She associates her room as her sleep area when it’s dark and our room as her play room.

Is it possible that even though you’ve tried bed time earlier that he’s associated waking up at 4am as his start time? Our daughter’s schedule was made because she chose that to be hers and we just worked around it. We were VERY lucky that she created that.

Maybe play with him more before bed time so he’s worn out more?  That’s why we let our daughter play for a good hour before bed time because by the time she’s finished her bottle she’s out like a light.

Post # 11
1175 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

do you think there might be a particular noise that’s waking your LO up (truck, neighbours etc) or could your LO be feeling cold?

you could try bringing your LO into bed with you or otherwise treating it like any other night waking (keep it dark, no stimulation and make it boring), whatever you do you need to be consistent for at least a week!

my other thought is that your LO might need his naps reduced because he’s already getting enough sleep overall.

Post # 12
2782 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

megz06:  Would it help your husband if you got up with the baby sometimes?

I don’t have any real advice– my son never truly slept through the night until he was 2.

Anytime he had a growth spurt- it didn’t matter how much solids we gave him during the day or before bed, he’d still wake up for a bottle at some point in the night/early morning.

It’s just something we got used to.

Post # 13
1175 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

megz06:  I believe the AAP doesn’t recommend any screen time till age two – just something else to think about (not trying to flame you!).

my other suggestion is for your DH to simply go to bed earlier at night so he’s still getting enough sleep – it just doesn’t seem fair to be strapping a baby into a highchair just so an adult can catch some z’s.

Post # 14
6741 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I echo the PP that said sleep when the baby sleeps. Sometimes we went to bed at 8pm because we knew that the baby was going to be getting (and keeping) us up.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors