7 year old dog started peeing in the house

posted 3 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
556 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@ajillity81:  Definitely take him to the vet. My 7 year old corgi started doing this about 6 months ago. It turns out he has a problem with his kidneys. We don’t really know what caused it but we treated his symptoms and the peeing stopped.

Has the beagle started drinking more water?

Post # 4
4513 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

We had an adult dog (she was about 5-6) suddenly start peeing in the house. It turned out she had a UTI.

Post # 5
1103 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Agreed on the vet. Our dog did this, he had a uti and a kidney issue. It was too late by the time we got him in and treated so please go soon. 

Post # 6
422 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@ajillity81:  my dog started doing this a fewr years back. he had a UTI ans crystals in the urine. hes now recovered but is on a special dog food and cannot have any treats/snacks other than what is vet approved. it sucks, but its preventing him getting kidney stones which would be way worse.

Post # 8
8850 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I agree, vet asap!  I know it’s hard, but try not to get mad at the dog.  It’s probably a health issue and really not his fault.  Even if it’s not a health thing, it could be some behavioral issue caused by change, stress, etc and also not really his fault.

I can relate, one of my kitties has crystals in her urine and we’re still working on the right treatment.  It is SOOOOO irritating when she pees on the floor when I KNOW she can use the litter box just fine, but I really try not to get mad because I know it’s not her fault.  (Not to mention, she is probably in discomfort.)

Post # 9
917 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Definitely take him to the vet and have him checked out just in case. My 12 year old dog started suddenly having accidents right in front of us, and it did turn out to be a problem with his kidneys. He was also obsessed with water, so that might not be what it is in your case, but it doesn’t hurt to be on the safe side.

Post # 10
2593 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

When a potty trained animal suddenly starts having accidents, they are telling you there is something wrong.  Usually it’s a health issue, (a UTI, kidney problems, etc), but occassionally it’s something else, like an emotional trauma.  Your vet should always be your first stop, though, when something like this happens.

Post # 11
3756 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Definitely sounds like a health issue, not a behavioral issue. Could be UTI or kidney issues. Poor guy. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors