.79, F color, SI2, princess cut. anyone have something similar?

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

SI2 can mean lots of different things, especially depending on who it was graded by. The most informative information would be a measure of light return, like an ASET.

Post # 5
726 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Go to Pricescope.com and look at what the diamond would be new… if there is a offical paper by GIA or AGS you can look at prices new if it is just a apprisal from a jewler it could be off a little the difference between a F/G and si2/i1 can be a bit sometimes. 

These I pulled up with a basic search: 

the cheapest GIA .72 SI2 F is $1447 with out a setting 

the cheapest GIA .72 SI2 G is $1324 with out setting

the cheapest GIA .72 I1 G is $1119 with out setting

What matters is you like the stone and setting for the price your paying, none of the numbers are a science….

The same F SI2 on paper can be $1447-$2813 from my search just now. So it all depends on how it looks in person. 

And if you cant see it in person first make sure you can return it…. 

Do you have more info on it? Pictures/price/apprisal or papers?

Post # 8
3693 posts
Sugar bee

It’s pretty. I’m not a big fan of IGI because their grading tends to be very “soft.” So that SI2 could be an I1 or an I2. I would see it in person in as many different types of light as you can, see if there are any visible inclusions that would bother you, see if it sparkles the way you want to. Then I would look at comparably prices stones through the Pricescope search and make sure you’re actually getting a deal. IGI graded diamonds should be cheaper than the equivalent graded GIA or AGS diamond. I would also have a gemologist look at it to make sure there aren’t any inclusions that could cause structural problems.

Post # 9
679 posts
Busy bee

looks pretty to me. mines a G I1 and its beautiful and super sparkly and clear! its 1 carat..heres a pic, i havent been able to get a clear one close up with my phone..

Post # 10
726 posts
Busy bee

Its a pic so I cant say much but it does look a little “warm”, and since F is colorless and G is almost colorless I would say its fudged on the color scale to mark up the price…. I dont see any big inclusions but then again these aren’t close up pics…but a SI2 or I1 can still be amazingly clear but have one black spot or big feather to give it that score. 

Here is a little info about IG

http://www.diamonds.pro/truth-about/diamond-certificates-gia-ags-igi-hrd-egl/igi/

Getting numbers from Pricescope:

Let me put it this way if I was buying it online I would look at prices based off of a GIA  .72 H SI2 and found prices for them from $1376-$1673 with out setting…

a GIA .72 G si2 is $1300-$1800  

Calling it an H color may be harsh but if I was offered this ring for under  $$1500 I would go for it.  Anything over $1500 (unless it was Plat) I would pass and pick new.

To know how it sparkles you should request a video…  

Post # 14
726 posts
Busy bee

Haha I had $2000 then thought about it and changed it to $1500.  I would say if YOU like the price and the look of it go for it! 

Ive been shocked by the price of just settings from the online dealers where I get the diamond prices. The diamond is a good price but a plain setting is $200-$900!!!!! 

So  if you like the price I would go for it! 

About the tint: who knows because it’s a pic! i live in a rented house and my F diamond always looks warm from the reflections of the yellow walls lol.  The pic could be reflections or a wall/shirt/shadow  who knows 

Post # 15
3693 posts
Sugar bee

@NEAM2014:  Where have you found cheaper settings than that? I’ve never seen a setting cheaper than $180 — the price of gold and platinum right now is through the roof.

Post # 16
726 posts
Busy bee

It was a local jeweler. My setting is YG and cost $200, I found basically the same setting for $450 on James Allen. But I know I paied a little more for the stone as it was a BNM store. I guess you save on one and pay on another lol.  

the funny thing is there is only $40 worth or gold in my ring by weight. Darn jewelry markups lol 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors