(Closed) 8 days to go, and my mum is in the hospital! Help!

posted 7 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
2321 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I am terribly sorry to hear that. I really do wish that she gets better. I cannot imagine the situation you are in! Cry

As the way you have described things, I would suggest not to postpone at all. I know that you won’t be having the best of fun at the wedding without your mom, but God forbid she leaves this world and you have postponed the wedding, then you will be incredibly depressed and won’t be in any sort of ‘wedding/party’ mood. That in my opinion would be worse. Plus right now your mum can see her daughter married off and she can see it in your pictures. I know it won’t be a fun time for you but I’m sure your mom would want you to continue with the wedding as-is. If I were your mom, I would want you to get married cuz God knows if I would be able to witness it later or not.

Once again I am REALLY SORRY that you are going through this. My most sincere well wishes go out to her and your family.

Post # 4
1003 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Don’t wait. I agree with your stepdad in postponing the party but still get married. You can still get your pictures then so it wasn’t a waste for your photographer to come all this way. Then you could go up to the hospital in your dress and visit.

We have had a lot of lung issues in our family, and I am going to be real and say they don’t have happy endings. Please enjoy this time with your mom and be happy. As there is always time to be sad later.

Post # 6
2496 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

@Lairis: 🙁  I am so, so sorry… this must be so stressful and difficult for you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

What does your FI think?  Does he have a strong opinion either way?  I am honestly not sure what I would do in this situation.  If it were me, I probably would go ahead, get married, get pictures (since the photographer is coming anyway), and postpone the party.

Could you postpone the party, but if your mom is well enough to leave for an hour or two, go to a nice restaurant with just immediate family to celebrate?

ETA: Could you also skype your mom in to the ceremony?  That way she feels like she isn’t missing it?

Post # 8
305 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m not sure if this is possible in Belgium, but I am a paramedic in Massachusetts, and this may be helpful information….

It may be costly, but if she is able to do so, you can hire a private ambulance company to bring her back and forth to the wedding, if the doctors give her the ok to be out of the hospital for an hour for the ceremony at least, and they can even take her to the reception if she’s up to it.  Depending on what she has for equipment (IVs, oxygen, etc.) they can send her by wheelchair van or ambulance. 

This isn’t possible in every situation, but if you really don’t want to cancel the wedding, and you want your mother to be there, the potential is there.

I hope this helps, and I really hope it is a possibility for you!  Feel free to PM if you want more details if this is possible for you.

I hope your mom makes it to your wedding, and I hope everything works out for you!

The topic ‘8 days to go, and my mum is in the hospital! Help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors