8 vs. 8.5 mm moissy – is there a noticeable difference?

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
878 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

I don’t have moissy so Im little help, but look up pics of 2 vs 2.5 carat diamonds because they may be easier to find abe could give a nice size comparison 

Post # 4
356 posts
Helper bee

When we were looking at stones, I could notice the .5mm difference in smaller stones, but a stone of that size I dont feel would be very noticable.

Post # 6
7896 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

“realistic” as in “pass for a diamond”? If so then I would go smaller than a 2carat equivalent. 1.5 is wow with out being extravagant. 2+ carats, unless you seemed like you had 30ishK to spare, I would assume it was a cz/sapphire/moissy. 

Post # 7
1067 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I don’t have any pics I can show you, but I can say that there isn’t a noticeable difference between the two sizes.  If you want to see the difference in size in person, you can always visit a jewelry store and request to see a 1.75ct (typically 7.8mm) and a 2ct (typicaly 8.2mm) diamond.  They’re not going to be exactly the same mm-wise, but you’ll get the general idea.

Post # 8
6785 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!

@Lecate:  diamdb.com let’s your compare different cuts and carat weights on a virtual finger that’s your size. I would suggest looking at that. 

Yes, I think there is a noticable difference in size. And personally, if I see a young woman (in my area of the country) with a stone over 2ct I assume it is not a diamond (if that’s what you were asking about “realistic looking”).

Post # 9
841 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I agree with @FutureDrAtkins: If you’re going for “realistic” (as in you want people to think it’s a diamond) I think a smaller stone is the way to go. If I saw one of my friends wearing anything over 2cts and I knew they didn’t have tens of thousands of dollars to spend, I would assume it wasn’t a diamond (or I would assume that they spend their entire life savings on it, which I would see as incredibly stupid). I also would assume the same thing about a younger person. That may be judgmental and wrong, but I do.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors