(Closed) ~85 People: To dance or not to dance?

posted 6 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1628 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

20 people will be fine on the dance floor. Usually you can set up the room to proportionally match the guests (some have adjustable size dance floors or you just pull the tables in closer) so that it won’t look empty with any size group.

I went to a wedding in November with 50 guests, only about 10 young people…there were always people on the dance floor but I know the bride was a little disappointed because those people didn’t STAY on the dance floor the whole night (I blame her DJ for part, and the fact that 3/10 young people were tending to their infants)….so that is something to discuss with your DJ/band so they can make sure the music is picked to encourage more dancing (and so the emcee can encourage it as well)

Post # 4
296 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I would say you should have the option. I know a lot of my family like to dance, you could have a good mix of oldies to get some of the older people up and moving, they might surprise you. I think 20 people on the dance floor is a pretty respectable turn out. I feel like guests tend to go along with the bride’s additude, if you’re up, dancing, and having fun, they’re more likely to join.

Post # 5
7904 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

We had 81 guests and only 26 people were our age. That dance floor was rocking! I think DH’s great aunt was the big hit… over 80 and tearing that floor up!

Post # 6
1353 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Our wedding was like 75 people are dance floor was going the whole time!

Post # 7
3375 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I had 75 guests and a HUGE dance floor (50×20) and it was pretty packed all night long. Most guests danced, but many lingered chatting on the edges. It was a great vibe.

Post # 8
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Yea I’m having the same dillemma, except our wedding is eevn smaller. Around 50 people. I’m glad to have the DJ for MCing and queueing teh ceremony music. Providing ambiance and setting up our intro and first dance. I am so concerned about a dead dance floor. Poor FI hates dancing, and I think I’m probably going to be dragging him to dance constantly.

Post # 10
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I definitely vote for dancing.

Post # 11
13101 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Definitely still dance.

And trust me – older people can get down on the dance floor.  I’ve seen DH’s grandfather at 3 weddings now and he LOVES to dance.  He goes dancing on his own multiple times a week!

The topic ‘~85 People: To dance or not to dance?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors