9 months until wedding – and a lot of weight to lose

posted 3 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
7997 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

Sounds like you’re doing everything right – you just have to stick with it (easier said than done obviously!).

You can do it!

Be careful starting insanity if you’re obsese. That’s not something you want to rush into. Would you consider hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions so they can set you up with a workout plan you could follow on your own?

Keep the exercise varied. Swimming is a great full-body workout and low impact so you won’t hurt your joints.

Post # 5
7654 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

@Moraz:  You have an AWESOME start 🙂

I did MFP, and I loved it. I can’t wait to go back to it once I am done giving birth and am clearned to go back to calorie counting and exercising.

One exercise you may want to consider (besides Insanity) is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can find the free videos at You Tube. I think one of them you have to seek out on Google. I did this until the end of level 2 and even though I wasn’t losing weight or many inches, my body looked amazing, and I actually was getting abs. It sucks getting started, you think you’re going to die, but you feel good.

Keep your exercise and meals changing. If you get in a routine, you may notice your wight stall. Another thing is make sure you take rest days from exercise if you are feeling sick, tired, or sore. You won’t do yourself any favors by working out.

Good luck! You will do awesome. I am Megz2006 on MFP is you want to add me. I support on there right now, but I will be back to logging after April. I lost 28 pounds from February to May-ish, and I wasn’t nearly as aggressive as I could have been about the whole thing. I can’t imagine my results had I been. Then I got pregnant, but luckily because of thinking about this as a lifestyle change NOT diet, I have gained minimal weight in my pregnancy and it has been all baby and belly. I can still fit in pre-pregnancy pants so I know my weight hasn’t gone anywhere other than the belly.

Post # 6
1666 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

@Moraz:  Have you tried Weight Watchers? My best friend wound up losing between 40 and 50 pounds in a year by doing it. She didn’t have the best eating habits and Weight Watchers was able to teach her how to balance her food consumption and figure out how much she really needed to eat.

And are you on medication for your Hypothyroidism? If not, you may want to consider speaking with your Doctor about it. And you could always see about speaking with a Nutritionist as well, to see if there is anything you can do diet wise that can help boost your metabolism.

Post # 7
1719 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Having lost 112 pounds myself, I would suggest the following:

• Low(ish) carb diet, try not to eat a lot of bread or pasta
  • eat all the vegetables you want, but no butter, oil, etc.  Garlic and spices are fine
  • high protein, if you can handle whey protein, then make your own low sugar shakes for breakfast, low fat string cheese is a great snack!
  • drink a ton of water!
  • have fruit daily, but try to choose low glycemic index fruits
  • Mix your cardio workouts with weights (not too heavy, you want to do about 3 sets of 10 reps), try to vary your workouts
  • Find active things that are FUN for you.  It is a lot easier to stay motivated when you are enjoying what you do!  Some atypical ideas: geocaching, fast mall shopping (do 3-4 laps of the mall), trampoline bouncing, roller skating, etc.
  • take measures of your body to see your changes, don’t just weigh yourself

If you would like a sample menu for a sustainable low(ish) carb day, I’m happy to help, just PM me!

Post # 8
922 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I think that without super something super drastic, you can incorporate diet like things into your life. If you want it to be a lifestyle change, I suggest getting in the routine of exercising a certain amount each week, and coming up with new recipe ideas that are still delicous and enjoyable, but more healthy than what you’d normally eat.

We do things like taco lettuce wraps, zuchhini pizza, substitute vegetables for carbs. You don’t have to do it every single day, but even a few times a week will make a noticable difference.

You can do this! 9 months is a good amount of time. Take it slow and don’t get down on yourself if you need a little junk food now and then!

Post # 9
1080 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I’m on MFP also! I love it. Have you tried Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred? I’m on Day 5 now and I seriously see and feel a difference already. It’s only 20 minutes long but is very effective.

I also try to go on our eliptical everyday. What helps to keep me going is to pick a TV show that I haven’t seen yet that is a few seasons in already. I only let myself watch it if I am on the eliptical. This really works for me because I get addicted to TV shows and want to watch like 5 episodes in a row. 

Post # 10
582 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@Moraz:  Try a different trainer.  I’ve worked out with a few.. and my workouts have never consisted of me being on an eliptical/bike- unless it was for 5-10 min to warmup. 

ETA: Beachbody has another workout that I like, it’s a little less intense than insanity Turbo Fire.  You might also consider incorporating weight training (maybe kettleballs etc..) in your workouts.

Eating healthy for me is the biggest challenge, but it’s something you have complete control over.  It’s a daily struggle (for me at least) but I just try to stay positive and motivated!

Post # 11
845 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

@LoggerHead91207:  +1 Weight Watchers is great. I’ve never been on it but I’ve seen other people succeed with it. My FSIL lost about 35 pounds in a few months before she got pregnant and says the best part for her is the meetings because it keeps her accountable and everyone is so supportive. It teaches you all about healthy eating in a way that you can continue when you decide to quit one day (most people don’t do it forever lol).

@Moraz:  I recommend a fitness regime that you will continue over a long period of time, so something that you actually enjoy. I know a lot of people are really into things like Insanity or 30 day challenges, but they are similar to “diets” in the sense that they aren’t really sustainable, and they might be too intense for you to continue. I’ve started running and going to fitness classes at my gym and that’s what works for me, in combination with healthy eating (fruit, vegetables, lean protein, limited processed/fast food, lots of water, less bread and pasta). I’ve lost about 14 pounds (SW 172, CW 158, GW ~150/145). I know it’s not drastic but slow and steady wins the race, seriously – I would fail if I crash dieted or tried to follow an actual “diet” – I made a lifestyle change and I’m happy with how it’s going.

Honestly for me it was all about taking that first step. I was really intimidated about joining the gym and going for the first time, but once you get that over with you will start to feel really comfortable (if you decide to join a gym, that is). I also thought eating healthy would be so hard but I don’t restrict myself – my FI and I go out to eat on weekends, and I eat healthy during the week. Cooking at home for a single person (I live alone) seemed overwhelming a bit too but I just mostly choose things that freeze well so I can keep the leftovers. I really recommend the Looneyspoons Collection, or any of the other Looneyspoons books (authored by Janet and Greta Podleski). Their recipes are sooo delicious, make tons of food, and are healthy!! 🙂 I know you can do it!

Post # 13
720 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I am totally loving blogilates!  She has a free monthly workout calendar and meal plan (I’m only doing the workout part).  It’s awesome for beginners and she is just so darn peppy you WANT to do the work.  She has a website and is on YouTube.  99% of the workouts are just using your own body weight, so nothing extra is needed.  The workouts are varied every single day 🙂

Post # 14
4998 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@Moraz:  First and foremost, I’m sure your fiance already finds you incredibly sexy or he wouldn’t be marrying you!

Secondly, a FitBit and MFP is a great combination, although I added in a HRM for more strenuous exercise. The combination certainly worked for me!

Thirdly, cardio is all fine and well, but the best way to strip off fat is a combination of a progressive lifting programme and a moderate deficit (which cardio can help with, but isn’t necessary). I lost 33lb in 9 months last year by eating an average of 500 calories less than my FitBit and HRM “burn” and lifting weights three times a week… I still ate around 1950 calories a day.

I did StrongLifts but Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women are also programmes that a lot of people recommend. My husband actually lifted with me and he’s looking great for it too!

Look into IIFYM, calculate your macros (don’t forget to eat enough fibre) and don’t stress too much about meal timings or having some chocolate/ice cream if it fits your macros.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors