(Closed) 9 weeks before my wedding and Bridesmaids wont wear dresses!!!!!!

posted 6 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
748 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Wow. I don’t think it sounds like you are being selfish at all. You purchased the dresses for them. I’m guessing you probably let them know what they looked like beforehand. Am I correct in this regard? Still, if you are not going for a traditional route for the dresses, I don’t really see what the big deal is considering it is your wedding. Could you maybe ask what the big issue with the dress is and see if you could change it up a bit? Maybe they want something with more coverage than a sundress so you could give them little cardigans to wear or something? Of course, I am just making assumptions here since I don’t have a good idea as to what the dresses look like or anything.

Post # 4
6394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

Oh hell no. You’ve already paid for the dresses, the time for consideration is up! Tell them that you can’t compromise because they’re already paid for. If they don’t want to wear the pre-paid dress, they can sit in the audience. That’s just too much, you shouldn’t have to change it for them at this point!

Post # 5
4275 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Smack them

Post # 6
2233 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@Cady:  Like!

Post # 7
577 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

If you paid for them, I really don’t think they have grounds to complain unless the dresses are really revealing or something. When I was MOH in my brother’s wedding, I told my sister in law that she could put me in a burlap sack if that’s what would make her happy on her day. She ended up picking out something that honestly wasn’t my favorite but it looked reasonably nice on and I respected what she wanted.

I could understand not wanting to purchase something that you don’t like, but if they’ve been bought for them, that’s ridiculous. I’m sorry that they’re being so selfish.

Post # 8
3001 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@Cady:  second this! Jeez…

Post # 9
1670 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Who the hell does that to a bride so close to her wedding?? You were kind enough to pay for their dresses, the least they can do for their FRIEND is wear the dress. It’s only one day and it’s not their day, it’s yours.  Tell them the dresses are paid for and if they won’t wear it, they can sit with the rest of the guests. I’m sorry they are giving you a hard time.  I never understand how friends can do that to eachother.

Post # 11
1638 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@amandabones:  Either they wear them or they become audience members. You can have an “uneven” wedding. Google photos of unique ways the bridal party can stand. They are sickening for what they’ve done. It’s not even their money.

Post # 12
411 posts
Helper bee

Even if you were being selfish, which you AREN’T (especially since you paid for the dresses!!!), there are some things that a bride gets to be selfish about on her wedding! Y’know, like, I get first shower in the morning, because I’M THE BRIDE. If anybody ends up with a cold shower, it sure as hell won’t be me.

And the BMs wear the dang dress I tell ’em to wear. It’s the bride’s prerogative!

Be selfish. Own it. And … smack em. 😉

Post # 13
3261 posts
Sugar bee

Tell them to get over it! It’s your wedding, you paid, they agreed to be bridesmaids. If they can’t handle it, kick them out of the party.

Post # 14
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

Wait, they didn’t even have to pay for them? Who are these women? They need to get their heads on straight!

Post # 15
375 posts
Helper bee

Wow! I guess that’s an “I’m sorry you feel that way.  I will ask another girl to replace you or we will just have fewer bridesmaids.” situation.  Pretty crappy of them to put you in that situation though! I will have to thank my bridesmaids for being so easy going I guess!!!

Post # 16
3943 posts
Honey bee

@amandabones:  Can we see a picture of the dresses? It doesnt matter what they look like, I’m just curious because unless my friend wanted me to walk around in a bikini, I would pretty much wear whatever the bride decides.

The topic ‘9 weeks before my wedding and Bridesmaids wont wear dresses!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors