5769 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

120 people = 120 servings.

Post # 3
4402 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I don’t think it’s enough. The worst thing at a wedding is running out of any type of food!

I’d buy some cheap grocery store/sheet cake to have in the servers’ area that they can cut up and serve along with the real wedding cake. I don’t think it even matters if it’s a different flavor — lots of wedding cakes are tiered with different flavors, anyway, and people like a choice.

Post # 4
1059 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

kimmo416:  Maybe do cupcakes to supplement?

Post # 6
3661 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Get the bigger cake.

Post # 7
250 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I would order a plain sheet cake from the same baker to accommodate the extra people. Usually it’s cheaper for them to make a plain sheet cake anyways. One thing I know for sure is you want to make sure you have enough servings for everyone. 

My aunt didn’t think everyone would eat cake at my cousins 15th birthday party so she ordered less to avoid having to bring extra home. My cousin ended up not even getting try her own cake because it went so fast. She still reminds us of this 4 years later!

Post # 8
437 posts
Helper bee

mu FSIL’s cousin bakes cakes for weddings and she just used our kitchen for a family wedding last weekend.  i spent some time with her and we actually talked about portions. 

she said that she would NOT bake a cake with a slice for every person if there are other desserts being served because not everyone will eat cake.

in the case of the wedding she was baking for last weekend, she made enough for one one-inch slice per person because they did NOT have other desserts.  at the end of the night, there was still cake left over!

Post # 9
951 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2015 - City Hall!

Add a sheet cake, no one needs to know your cake isn’t big enough. 

Post # 10
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

kimmo416:  This is tricky, it is very annoying to buy extra cake when I feel like there is always SO much cake left over at pretty much every event I’ve ever been to. I got cupcakes for ours, we had 150 people and I only ordered 120 cupcakes and there were still a ton leftover, like dozens. However, we also had chocolate covered pretzels (super cheap to make- cost like $10 to make 80) and cookies made by family members (this is a Pittsburgh thing). Our dessert table was also buffet style, if yours is buffet style, that will keep your numbers down, I feel like after dinner most people are drinking and dancing and alot don’t seek out dessert. 

But, If you are having a sit down where dessert is brought out, you’d need to get more for sure, but just get an extra plain sheet cake that is in the back and no one ever sees. That shouldn’t run you anything too crazy. 

My advice is either get another sheet cake that serves 30 or offer other desserts such as cupcakes (which you could make yourself for practically nothing) and chocolate covered pretzels (super cheap as well).

Good luck!

Post # 11
3735 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

kimmo416:  You can also just do a sheet cake in the back.

Post # 12
2302 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

i’ve been to three different cake bakers and asked them how many servings to order. each of them said that 90 servings for 120 (we’re expecting similar numbers) is plenty if you’re serving a dessert. the last two weddings I was at had TONS left over. 

Post # 13
1168 posts
Bumble bee

Get half a sheet cake to make up for any potential cake eaters Beyond 90. They’re chEPA and no one will ever know of it is cut in the back. 

Post # 15
3623 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

kimmo416:  I ordered the recommended amount of cake, plus had one and a quarter extra desserts (different pastries) per person.  Other than our bite of cake, we got none. My guests ate every last slice and pastery. I would definitely get a sheet cake or something to supplement. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors