(Closed) $9,000 for a roundtrip plane ticket from Thailand to LA??!??

posted 7 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
2183 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

Absolutely. We wanted to do a European extravaganza, but it was both cost prohibitive and we just don’t have enough time to make it worth it. It’s disappointing, still. We’re doing Disney, staying in a Disney resort, and going to Discovery Cove– a day of relaxation and swimming with dolphins.

All that matters is that we’ll have time together to just. be. together.

We are planning the Euro trip for our first anniversary…

Post # 4
4755 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Our flights to Australia will be no less than $2000 each. I’m not budging, we’re going to Australia regardless of cost.

Post # 5
830 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

That sounds ridiculous. I’d check Expedia for a true idea of what a flight to an exotic locale might cost. My friend is flying from OR to Fiji and it was expensive but nowhere near that outrageous. She said a little over 3K for 2 tickets.

Post # 6
7779 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I just searched vacation packages for Bangkok on Priceline, because I was curious…. I didn’t see one that was more than $2k per person, including airfare and hotel. I’m not sure where you were searching, but the prices you found were way off base.

We really wanted to go to London for our honeymoon, but bad neither the time nor the money. A month later, we found out we were moving there. lol. Things have a way of working out.

Post # 7
3142 posts
Sugar bee

I’m going to Thailand in October from back East and coach can be found for $2000.00 and lots of time less.

Post # 8
7300 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

I believe it for first class.

We are just going on a cruise for our honeymoon.

Post # 10
13099 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Those prices are definitely off base for coach tickets (although I’d believe it for first class).

My company sent me to Malaysia last March (from Dallas).  This was decided last minute and the tickets were booked 1 week in advance for a little over $3K.  If they’d planned ahead, they likly would have been below $2K.

When I lived in Singapore one summer in college, my round-trip airfare from Indiana to Singapore was about $1600.

Post # 11
1991 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Earlybride: Yeah, just checking Orbitz, roundtrip tickets to fly to Thailand from LAX in October are $1100 with layover or $1600 direct.

Post # 12
4804 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

We would love to go to one of those nice resorts in Fiji, like the one on the Bachelorette…with the little huts over the water.  Yeah, not so much!  A minimum of $5000 each!  Yikes!

So we will stay in Hawaii but fly to Kauai from Maui for our honeymoon.

Post # 13
4824 posts
Honey bee

Our tickets from CT to Indonesia and return to San Fran were about 4K total. 

Post # 14
929 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@vmec: i WISH i could get away for $2000 in the other direction.  Our flights from Sydney –> LA–> Toronto –> LA –> Sydney are $3800 APIECE.  Airfaire ain’t cheap these days.  They project oil prices 6-8 months in the future for airfare, so even if the price of oil goes down, the #s are locked in.  I think to Thailand you can do much better than $5000, but don’t expect it to be cheap.  Sorry to say.  Its just not a cheap time to travel overseas, and I don’t think it will be for a while. 

And for some perspective, when i moved to sydney 6 years ago i spend $1250 on my roundtrip price – everytime i’ve flown home to Canada since then the price has jumped by a minimum of $500, and the last time i flew home (xmas 2010-2011), my fiance and I paid $3200 each. 

Post # 15
5011 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

We’re flying coach from Scotland to Singapore via Dubai and returning from Bangkok; that’s £2000ish ($3200ish). I’ve just looked at the same itinerary flying First Class and it would be nearly $9k, so that sounds about right.

We’re hoping to upgrade to Business Class at the airport on the way out, which should only cost a few hundred pounds if it were available.

Edited to say: I’ve just looked at it again and they don’t offer First Class on my routes, so the nearly $9k was for Business Class.

Post # 16
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Um, that’s ridiculous. Try kayak.com. Also, if you’re under 26, studentuniverse.com has some great deals for youth!

The topic ‘$9,000 for a roundtrip plane ticket from Thailand to LA??!??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors