(Closed) 9/27/13 – Too cold in Northeast?

posted 6 years ago in Connecticut
  • poll: What date (weather wise) is better for an outdoor ceremony AND reception in CT?
    September 27th, 2013 : (29 votes)
    56 %
    August 23rd, 2013 : (23 votes)
    44 %
  • Post # 3
    12885 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

New England weather is hit or miss.  This past October, there was a colossal snowstorm that pounded New England that actually caused a lot of towns to cancel Halloween celebrations (including trick or treating!). 

FWIW, my sister’s wedding was mid-September in central MA, and it was in the 60s, sunny, and gorgeous. 

Is it an outdoor ceremony/reception?  If it is, you’ll need a backup plan in case of bad weather, cold, heat, or any other weirdness New England throws at you.  But fall in New England… absolutely stunningly gorgeous. 

Post # 4
    1963 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

Does the venue have patio heaters you can use if it is cold?

Post # 5
    1361 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I think the end of September in NE could go either way.  It could be freezing or it could be very hot.  According to accuweather.com, the average high for that day in Hartford is 70 and the average low is 48.  70 would be okay, but 48 would not.  I would go with August to be on the safe side.

Post # 6
    133 posts
    Blushing bee

October it gets cold(er), in my opinion. But, I am getting married in November and it could be in the 60’s during the day and 50’s at night.  Are you getting married outside and then having the reception inside?  There’s no guarantee of the weather, I say go for it, people will survive for the length of your ceremony.

Edit: Looking at your other date, that’s a year from now, right now at my house it is 68 degrees outside, but will probably be in the low 80s by the end of the day.

Post # 7
    831 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

August it will be almost guaranteed hot and humid.

September could be glorious (75-80 degrees no humidity), it could be hot/humid, it could be cold (50 degrees).  It’s really a crapshoot. It will most likely be chilly after the sun goes down, regardless.

Honestly, I’m not a fan of either option if you are having an outside ceremony AND reception.  My brother got married in an outside ceremony in October and it was a bit brisk but not cold. But his reception was inside. If it was just the ceremony outside either would work, but the outside reception in September would scare me because you just don’t know.

If I had to pick I’d do August.

Post # 8
    2224 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I voted September. Its been devastatingly hot. Even 5 years ago it was brutally hot in the summer, I had my son late October and I still needed air conditioning. Your guests would not be comfortable and neither would you! Just yesterday I walked outside for 20 mins after just freshly having had a shower, and got drenched with sweat. I cant wait for it to cool down.

Post # 9
    2164 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

Depends where in CT, Fiance and I did not want to be hot at all, and our date is Sept 26, 2014 (we live and are getting married on Long Island). There were so many days last Sept and Oct where the weather was in the high 70’s and gorgeous….I tend to associate August weather with sticky, humid, bad hair weather…I say stay w/ Sept, but I’m biased 😉

Post # 10
    2425 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Typical September weather is very nice, should be in the 60s or 70s in most places. Though there is a chance for a cold spike, but not super likely. August can be brutally hot, I would prefer September for an outdoor ceremony.

Post # 11
    1663 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

It’s really hard to predict.  It could be sweltering or freezing.  Are there outdoor heaters you could use if necessary?  September is a beautiful time of year, just hard to say!  I would vote no for Aug, though, because it’s more likely to be very hot (and it’s humid here).

Post # 12
    272 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

As the other Bees have said, New England late summer/early fall could be anything.

August can be pretty hot. I live in the DC area now and don’t really think it EVER gets that hot in New England compared to the sweltering humidity down here, but my parents are very happy we are planning a September 20, 2013 wedding in RI because they think it’ll be more pleasant weather. We are planning an outdoor ceremony/cocktail hour and indoor reception.

Post # 13
    163 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I’m doing Oct 7th, so I voted for the September date.  You truly never know what you are going to get temperature-wise.  

I will add that the over labor day weekend the last two years (and maybe three), we had a hurricane or its remnants in the area.  That could be possible for the August date.

Definitely check with the venue to see if you can do the portable heaters. You can always make it warmer, but you can’t make it cooler.  Plus, people will dress for the weather.

Post # 15
    2778 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

Well like others have said September can be hit or miss.  I left New England last year and since I’ve left central MA, they have had a tornado, an earthquake (mostly felt in lower states, my dad was in Jersey at the time and felt it something fierce), a hurricane, and a Halloween blizzard that shut the place down but otherwise a rather mild winter.  

In September it could be either or but in August you are guaranteed to have muggy awfulness.  My birthday is in September so I am biased and love the month but honestly the fall is my favorite season there.  We will have our ceremony in July because it is the only time we can both get off to fly back but otherwise I would have totally went for the fall.

I think from what you described it should be fine it more than likely will not snow or drop below 50 degrees.  It will probably be beautiful and amazing and they have accomidations to make the whole thing okay.

Post # 16
    1564 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

It also depends on where you plan to have the ceremony/reception. If you are planning to be on the shoreline, that can be much cooler than if you are in mid-CT. My fiance and I were originally planning on an outdoor Setember 21st wedding but changed not due to the weather but because the sun was going to go down later if we got married earlier in the month and we could maximize our time taking pictures.

The topic ‘9/27/13 – Too cold in Northeast?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors