98-day Cycle

posted 1 year ago in TTC
2823 posts
Sugar bee

@Miss PumpkinPenguin:  Oh no! I’m so sorry, *hugs*. My cycles have gone long before but never THAT long. I do know of someone in my NFP group who had cycles that were often 3-4 months.

9241 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

I had some cycles like that.  111 days was the record, only ended because I got a provera prescription that induced my period.  You could make an appointment and inquire about that if you want to put an end to it.  Or if it doesn’t bother you just let it go, and be happy you’re AF free for a while.  My doctor always said she wanted me to have at least 3 periods a year, so the lining doesn’t get “disorganized” and thick.

5129 posts
Bee Keeper

@Miss PumpkinPenguin:  I agree with SapphireSun, that it may be time to start a round of Provera. You shouldn’t exceed 120 days very frequently (when off BC) due to risks for endometrial cancer (a nurse practicitioner told me, I’m having trouble finding information backing it up though, so it may not be true).

9241 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@ChuckNorris:  That’s what my gyno told me as well.  The excessive time between periods makes your endometrial cells disorganized, and that puts you at higher risk for endometrial cancer.  Old damaged cells are more susceptible.

5129 posts
Bee Keeper

@SapphireSun:  Ah, thank you. I thought I was going crazy. But that’s exactly how she explained it to me.

2108 posts
Buzzing bee

@Miss PumpkinPenguin:  Hey hun. I can totally sympathize. I am on day 65 and going mental. I have an appt with my doctor today to get the results back of some labs I had run as well as an ultrasound (to confirm or rule out PCOS) and I’m definitely going to ask for a round of Provera. If DH and I happened to get pregnant right now, the timing wouldn’t be the best as our due date would be the week of my best friends wedding, which I’m in. I wouldn’t be so concerned about being pregnant/or just had a baby – but the thought of possibly missing it would be devastating. So, i think Provera I go and hope that next cycle isn’t so horrible.

FX for you. I’d definitely set a date that you could see your doctor to induce a period if that makes you feel best about it. I know a few bees that have gone over 100 days but I don’t think I could do that to myself!

Good luck, keep us posted!

1141 posts
Bumble bee

Have you thought of charting just for your own sanity to see where you are at?

I never had regular cycles before BC, and once I went off I had one “normal” length cycle (same cycle as BC), then my next cycle was ridiculous. I had started charting just to see what the deal was, at least then whenever we decided on kids I would be prepared for the doctor. I kept saying I was going to get Provera but then would delay and set another deadline, delay again, etc, etc.

Just be careful if you aren’t planning for kids right now. DH and I had talked about it but not committed to a timeline. After about 50-60 days we assumed I wouldn’t ovulate and just weren’t careful.. well I ovulated on CD108/109 and here I am 29 weeks pregnant, and we only DTD one time during that week and that was on ovulation day. Oops.

47 posts
Newbee

A few months after going off the pill, I was having 35-day cycles, then out of nowhere, I had an 80+ day cycle once – it must’ve been 86 days or so, and at the tail end of that, I saw my OBGYN and she was ready to put me on Provera to induce. That was also the cycle I started charting and temping, so because I had a temp shift, I knew that I at least had ovulated (on day 75!!) and that I was either going to get my period soon or find out I was pregnant. I got my period.

Because of my long cycles, I thought I’d have PCOS or something but when I had some bloodwork done to check my hormone levels, everything was clear so it was a little frustrating to know that my levels were okay but still having crazy periods (seriously, what the hell). Going off BC can definitely put your cycles out of whack so if you’re becoming extremely concerned and your periods weren’t like this before you went on BC, you should see your doctor to confirm if you have PCOS so you know what you’re dealing with.

9740 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@Miss PumpkinPenguin:  I’ve gone years (unless I was on BC).  I was FINALLY diagnosed by a doctor who actually cared to do blood tests.  I have extremely high prolactin levels caused by a tumor on my pituitary gland.  I also have a nodule on my thyroid.  It explains a lot due to other symptoms.  I am now on medication to help control the prolactin levels which are regulating my hormones and ovulation.  

2108 posts
Buzzing bee

@Miss PumpkinPenguin:  hey hun, cross posted from the Charters thread :)

Just wanted to update you all as you have been so supportive through this journey, that I got pretty good results back from the doctor! I mean not PERFECT, but i’m fairly happy with them.

My blood labs all came back within “normal” ranges with the exception of testosterone. Mine was 3.2 and normal range is 0.4-2.6. My LH was 25.8 (normal mid cycle is 19.2-103) and FSH was 9.4 (normal midcycle is 4.5-22.5). Estradiol came back at 576 and normal mid cycle range is 350-1590. The ultrasound came back with the following “multiple small follicles present (on left ovary) some of these are peripheral with some slight variability in the more central aspect. Opinion: there are multiple small follicles resent although the ovaries are not that grossly enlarged the left at the 10cc size range. PCOS cannot be ruled out and could be a consideration. Correlate biochemically”. As some websites indicate (thank you YellowClover!) my LH:FSH is about 3:1 (anything above 1:1 can be an indicator of PCOS) so that, combined with the elevated testosterone makes me believe that PCOS is a definite possibility, even though they aren’t saying it’s a definite diagnosis. Also, it seems that an ovary with greater than 10cc size could be a factor, and mine is bordering that size on the left. So…

I  certainly *may* have PCOS. She said with the testosterone level being higher than normal that we won’t rule it out, but that my results otherwise were good and not overly alarming/concerning. She said the follicles could be prohibiting my ovulation hence the long cycles but since I haven’t experienced painful menses, endrometriosis (sp!) etc that even if I did have it, it wasn’t something she was too concerned with. She was thankfully in a much more positive/pleasant mode this time around lol.

She asked if my DH had his SA done yet as the results weren’t in, and of course he hasn’t. He is going to do that this week as i need a serious TTC break and don’t want to get pregnant around my bff’s wedding (an O date this week would basically guaruntee that!). So, I’m kind of excited to take a break from the bd’ing, to be honest.

I mentioned that I was on day 65 on my cycle and asked about the provera etc. She said she wouldn’t prescribe it at this point unless I REALLY wanted it. She said she’d rather not introduce more drugs at this point and just let my cycle be. I am not having any cramping/bloating/spotting etc so she saud to just carry on and see what happens.

She was quite optimistic about seeing an RE and said she’ll get  the consult rolling for us once the SA is in. She said I obviously just need a little “help” ovulating and that we would hopefully be successful with a little assistance.

So, that’s that. I asked for copies of my labs so if anyone wants other specifics back out of curiousity i’m happy to supply them.

Overall, i’m feeling good about it all. While its not “perfect” i know it could always be worse. I am optimistic that with something like Clomid or Metformin my body will be able to O earlier in my cycles and hopefully one day in the new year finally get our BFP!

Any questions please ask ladies :)

1141 posts
Bumble bee

@Miss PumpkinPenguin:  Mine was a mess too, but I just kept going to see what would happen. If you wanted to see the chart you can look at it. I think this is the one thing that kept me from freaking out about being pregnant constantly (as I used to worry prior to BCPs).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.