A 5,000 wedding in California….Doable?!

posted 2 years ago in Money
Post # 2
535 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

That depends on your guest list and creativity. I would imagine you’d be doing a lot of DIY.

Post # 3
1158 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

sfigu16:  California is a huge state with hugely varying costs for services depending on the specific area. Also, the term “wedding” can mean hugely different things depending on the person. It’s going to come down to the specific location, guest list size, and desired elements (multicourse plated meal vs. Buffet vs. Passed apps only, open bar vs. Cash, live band vs. Dj vs. I pod music, etc etc etc).

In the San Francisco and LA areas you’d be lucky to have so much high end dinner at a restaurant for 20 people for under 5k…and a medium sized (100ish people) full fledged wedding and reception at a nice place would cost at least 10 times that (in my personal experience). Just our church ceremony alone in Santa Monica was 2k all in, not including any attire, invitations, or any of the reception costs. On the other hand, I would imagine you could have a some sort of a reception with many of the traditional trimmings for around 5k if you’re willing to DIY a lot, keep the guest listvrelatively small, and host it somewhere in the valley or one of the Inland areas.

Post # 4
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

polyblonde:  hit the nail on the head!

I had a beautiful wedding in Saratoga CA for 5k in 2004 for 50 people but any more than that and I would have been dead in the water. It can be done…but depends a lot on where you are.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors