- 8 years ago
- Wedding: September 2011
My BF and I have been together for a year and a half now and have lived together for about half that time. We’ve just been able to move into our very own place (we had roommates before) and it’s wonderful, as I’m sure you can imagine. 🙂
We’ve always known we would get married. We’ve talked about it since about month 3 of our relationship and now it’s just a matter of when. We’ve been talking about engagement and when it might happen for the last 6 months or so and the delay is really just a lack of funds issue. It bothered me for a long time not because BF didn’t have the money for a ring right away, but that he wasn’t trying to save.
Anyway, for the past few weeks, almost immediately after we got settled into our new place, he started kind of bringing it up again. He started asking me how much he can save each month and how we could make that more so he can save for our future. (I budget all of our finances–we still have separate accounts and whatnot, but I have a budget put together for the both of us so we can save at least a little each month and not overspend.) I got really excited when I realized he was finally saving for my ring. He seems excited about it too.
However, there are other things we need to save for too that we’ve been discussing, that I know are more important (I only grudgingly admit…) than my ring, like necessities for our condo that we didn’t have before that we’ll now have to buy each month for a while, etc.
I guess I’m just feeling a little bummed at the moment b/c, like I said, I budget our finances and know exactly how much he can save each month, which isn’t a whole lot. The ring I want isn’t that expensive at all (we’re going with Moissanite), but even with that, I just feel like we’re ganna be in this situation for a while and it’s ganna take FOREVER for him to save up at the rate he’s going now (2 years at minimum, 3 years more likely, which both seem like forever!).
I’m just not sure what to do. I definitely don’t want to rush us into anything we’re not financially ready for, it’s just frustrating. I’d wait for him forever if I had to–it’s just the end product that matters–but that being said, I really do just want to get on with our lives and move forward with the next step. He told me about a month ago that he wanted to propose to me within the year, and I got really excited, but now the reality of that possibility (or non-possibility as it were since he doesn’t want to have to finance it) is starting to sink in and making me a bit sad. Any words of advice would be most appreciated. Thank you for listening bees! 🙂