A little bit of dress regret..Advice please.

posted 3 years ago in Dress
  • poll: How should I approach this?
    Just be honest and say I dont love the dress. : (19 votes)
    76 %
    Buy a second dress and choose between the two after I try them on. : (3 votes)
    12 %
    Just stick with the dress and maybe regret it later : (3 votes)
    12 %
    Other, please specify in comment. : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    3841 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

    @Sunbeam-bride:   I copied and pasted the link but it didn’t work.  🙁   

    Could the dress be altered so you are happy with it?  Given the emotions surrounding the purchase of the dress, it may be difficult for your mom to hear you aren’t content with the choice.   If you are very, very unhappy with the dress, could you get a second one and wear one for the wedding and the other for the reception?    I can see my mom doing the same thing – she means well but doesn’t always get it.  *hugs* to you.

    I hope your brother is doing well.  

    Post # 5
    632 posts
    Busy bee

    The link worked for me but I just made sure to copy it starting with “http:….”. There is a word (“gown”) in front of the start of the link URL so that might trip people up.

    What a tricky situation…
    For me, the dress is really important to how I feel on the day, and I’m really glad I love my dress. If I were in your shoes, I would just have an honest conversation with my mom, and also tell her you’ll pay her back the cost of the dress deposit (caveat: not sure how much $ you have or if this would be something she would want you to do, but this is what I’d do as a gesture showing that you’re not carelessly spending other people’s money). I’d explain to her that you weren’t ready to make a decision and that you felt the salespeople were too pushy in the store, and you would like to get a different dress.

    I definitely wouldn’t lose the deposit on it if it’s 80% paid already, I would pay the other 20% then re-sell it.


    Post # 6
    1248 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

    @Sunbeam-bride:  It seems like you really got pushed into this sale and I feel bad for you 🙁 How do you think you will go finding another dress in time though – is your wedding still April 9th?  It does take ages for dresses to be ordered in here so you would largely be limited to ordering off the rack where possible. I would maybe put the feelers out and see what else you could get in time. I know lying is never good but if your mother is really not listening when you say you don’t like the dress and you don’t want to upset her then it might be best to tell her that you went to an alterations appointment and they told you it wouldn’t be possible to alter the dress down to fit you and you have to get a new one?

    Leave a comment

    Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

    Find Amazing Vendors