Accidentally fell in love with a 3200 dollar Reem Acra dress… opps. Now what?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
317 posts
Helper bee

maybe you can have it replicated? I wouldnt do overseas, plenty of dress makers in the us… look on etsy…. like you said you have some time maybe youll fall in love with another dress in your budget.

Post # 4
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I don’t know when stores offer sample sales, but does Reem Acra have trunk shows?  Those usually have good discounts and may be worth some investigation and travel time.  Otherwise, keep trying on dresses in your price range — maybe you’ll find one you love even more!

Post # 5
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

You can also try resale sites like Tradesy, etc.

Post # 6
182 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Check with places like Brides Against Breast Cancer and Vows by Bridal Power (they are the ones with the show).

Post # 7
1662 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Waldorf Astoria, Chicago

Check out http://www.preownedweddingdress.com it’s like eBay of wedding gowns.  Some are new, most are used…but I bought two from this website…I fell in love with a $6K Lazaro, got it for $2500 on the website.  So you might have some luck there! 

Post # 8
1491 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Try pre owned sites like PreOwnedWeddingDresses and OnceWed…   I also second bridepower, but their dresses are normally at least a year behind the current season, so if your dress is a brand new style bridepower probably won’t have it.   The Sample Room in NY also gets tons of high-end designer sample dresses in…but their selection changes constantly.  You could email them the dress and style that you are looking for, and see if they know when they are getting any Reem Acra in stock.    

Otherwise my best advice to you is to use this Reem Acra as a jump-board and try on as many dresses that are like it as possible…to see if you can find something similar and in your price range.  

Post # 9
240 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@305Bride:  Can you shift money around in other parts of your budget and just buy it? I wanted to spend about $1500-2000 and ended up spending $4000 because I could NOT find a dress in the lower price range that I liked even a little bit. 

I got my dress at a trunk show for 10% off and they threw in a free veil but you could negotiate that exact same discount at literally any store. I also got our caterer to come down about 10%, our venue came down 10% on the uplighting, our dj gave us 10% off for paying in full, our photographer gave us 5% off for paying in full, and we get a 10% discount on our officiant because my mom is a member of the church. 

As I saved money off of what was budgeted I swept the savings into either the dress column or the flowers column. My original floral budget was too low and I had to double it, but at the same time I would have had to triple it if I hadn’t found an excellent florist who works out of her home and passes on the savings. 

Producing money out of thin air is the kind of budget miracle we have to pull off as wives and moms, right? Might as well start practicing  🙂

Post # 10
1190 posts
Bumble bee

Is there any possibility of buying it, and thinking about reselling it later? and like another bee said, rebudgeting different areas of your wedding?

Post # 11
2565 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Look at pre owned wedding dress sites, you should be able to get a dress for about 50% off if not more.  Even if the price is higher you may be able to negotiate it down, brides may be listing at a higher price knowing people always want to negotiate a lower price.

You could also look into having a replica made if you don’t mind having a dress made that is a “copy”.

There are also plenty of beautiful dresses out there at every price point.  So if you are unable/unwilling to go over budget for this dress and you can’t find a preowned one you might just have to forget it and move one.

Post # 12
444 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I am going to agree with pp. Definitely check out preowned dresses, but also consider similar dresses. A lace/beaded bodice with a tulle skirt is definitely a popular style. Check out WTOO Calypso – it’s quite similar. I have expensive taste in dresses, so I can empathize, but ultimately I couldn’t spend a lot of money on a one day dress. And there are many gorgeous, high quality gowns in the 1000-1500 range!

Post # 15
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I agree with PPs–check for used/sample dresses online first (or similar dresses–many Reem Acra dresses have similar elements)

Or you can get a replica made!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors