- 7 years ago
- Wedding: May 2011
So I had previously posted that our orginal church so kindly sent me a letter stating that they made a mistake and double booked our wedding with another and we needed to move our date or time. Neither of which is possible because of deposits made and contracts signed with other vendors.
I get an email from this pastor and he says he has found a church who would be willing to have our wedding there but they don’t have a pastor. It’s in a unsafe neighborhood for one, and the other it was flooded last year! The reason we chose the first church was because it was beautiful and in a nice location and easy to find. This one he randomly found is none of those things. FI and I have found a church and booked it after having met with the pastor. The church is beautiful and the staff is well organized. The only thing is that it is 3 times the price of the first church. I have sent the pastor a letter in response to getting his letter and explained why I was upset and that this error required immediate attention and a letter does not meet that requirement. I told him that we had a contract signed and dated for the day of our wedding and for the time of the ceremony and that they violated that contract and that forced us to find a new church.
I feel that the old church should have to pay for at least half of the new one since it was their fault that we had to go elsewhere. I also think that it should up to the bride and groom to chose where they want to be married not the pastor’s.
Below is my recent email response I have ready to send the pastor. Let me know what you think.
I understand that you are trying to help and correct the situation that was created by your office. I feel as though it is really up to the bride and groom to choose where they wish to be married at. It shouldn’t be something that someone “found” because they made a mistake. We choose your church for a reason and now that we are not able to have our wedding there on the date we had contracted for, we pursued other avenues. Moving the date of the wedding is not an option. We have already mailed out Save the Date cards to our guests. Luckily, I was able to keep the invitation person from printing our invites otherwise that would have incurred additional printing costs. I understand that people make mistakes but this mistake should have been taken care of a lot sooner than September 7. We had booked your church in March. If in fact this other couple booked around the same time then the “mistake” would have caught a lot sooner. And like I said before, this situation warranted a phone call not a letter. If I had never received this letter, then what would have taken place?? Would you have just waited till I called again and then told me?? I still don’t understand why it wasn’t caught until now, when I called on SEVERAL occasions to discuss things regarding the ceremony and not once was it ever brought to my attention that there was another wedding on our date.
Due to the fact that this was in fact your church’s error and not ours we feel that the only appropriate course of action would be to have your church pay at least half of what our new church is charging us. We had a signed contract and it was not honored. We will be having our wedding at the Noelridge Christian Church. You may contact me via email to discuss how payment will be made to the church. We have already paid the deposit and I will send you a copy of the receipt and you can either reimburse me directly or you can pay Noelridge and that will go towards our cost there. Our deposit was $200 and the fee to use Noelridge is $850.
If you have any questions please contact me via email.