Post # 1
So my fiance and I are saving for a house. We don’t have tons of money, I am still in school, and he is just starting out in his career. He saved and bought my perfect diamond, and together we picked out an antique setting. It was going to be a gorgeous ring. We got a local jeweler to put it together. However, we picked the worst jeweler, he ended up severely chipping the stone. We filed a complaint with the better business bureau asking him to replace the stone.
Here is my question, it doesn’t seem like the stone will be replaced, we can’t afford another diamond. We could afford a moissonite, but nothing aginst them, that just isn’t for me. I know it would be temporary, but both of us feel like it should be a diamond. I’m torn, it is very important to my guy that we don’t tell our parents until there is a ring on my finger. So far I’ve just told my best friend. It’s killing me not to tell people, I’d love to start planning. Should we just spend the money and buy a temp. moissy? Save and get the diamond later on? I’m sentimental though, and am worried that later on I will not want to replace it, yet always regret it. Also, even though a moissy in the size I want is less than 100, that is downpayment money. Should we just wait until we save enough for another diamond? Get the moissy?
And I know you all will be so helpful, but aside from suing the jeweler there isn’t anything to do. It wasn’t purchased with a credit card, and we did not insure it, or anything.
Post # 3
I know I’ve posted on here before, regarding this, I am just feeling very stuck. His parents wil be coming to stay with us for xmas, they get here on the 18th. We had originally wanted to tell our parents together, so this would be the perfect time to do it, but he is so insistant that we can’t tell them, especially mine, without a ring.
I just want to enjoy my engagement, and am feeling unable to because of this. I am having a hard time not to blame my faultless in this situation fiance, but am sad that even though I have been engaged for 7 weeks, I do not have a ring to wear, nor will I soon.
Post # 4
@franklyn: Thats horrible! Its supposed to be a joyus time for you, so sorry it is complicated. I know you said the moissy wasn’t your thing, so maybe a white sapphire or topaz? You might be able to resell it after you get the diaond ordeal settled. If it were me, I would want to tell everyone, so I would fake it until it was sorted out. Either way, all the best to you! Congrats on your engagement!
Post # 5
I would wait and get a diamond, as you said you’re not very keen on moissy, so that’s probably not for you. How about a cheaper stand in ring in the meantime? I would still pursue getting the jeweller to replace the stone, as the chip was their fault! Did you have it insured? Could you maybe get a replacement that way?
Post # 6
It wasn’t insured.
The jeweler, even though my fiance saw him use pliers to try and adjust the stone in the setting, is claiming that we brought him a stone with a feather and that is why it chipped in two location. This is a barely included stone. Two other jewelers have said that there is no way it is anything but the original jeweler’s fault.
We stupidly did not insure it, we were going to wait to have the ring together before we insured it. It was not purchased with a credit card, there really isn’t anything we can do aside from keeping to try and persue the jeweller through better business bureau. Hey! Any canadian lawyer bees want to draft a letter?
Partially joking. I don’t think the stone would be worth it to sue over, it was not the largest, but I loved it. Mostly just sad thoughts, and wanting to share, I think my fiance is sick of me talking about it, he feels awful.
Post # 7
@franklyn: I feel so bad for you, and so angry with the jeweler for not owning up to his error. What is the BBB saying? Is the jeweler still offering to have it recut? I’m just so sorry you’re dealing with this, through no fault of your own. 🙁
Post # 8
@franklyn: I wouldn’t get a moissy if you don’t like them- they’re not that cheap. I’d consider a high end CZ though…
Post # 9
How much is the diamond worth? I ask for 2 reasons – just to know how long it would take to save for the diamond and also to know if you maybe have something like small claims court in Canada that you can take him to. This way, you can sue him without paying a lawyer.
Post # 10
If you don’t love moissy then don’t get it. I have it and love it for what it is – but I didn’t have any fixed ideas about diamonds either, I just wanted something durable, near colorless and sparkly. You’re obviously set on the diamond, so I’d either wait until you could afford it or put a CZ in the setting for now. If it’s a smaller stone you’re going for the likelihood of it being colorless and icy like a CZ is greater than if it were a 2 carat rock, and unless it will take you years to save up for the stone it probably won’t have time to scratch and cloud too much. Plus the cost of a moissanite is too high for something you don’t intend to keep if money is already an issue.
Post # 11
- Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!
@franklyn: Sorry to hear this 🙁 For now I would just get a cheap stand in CZ from a department store. Even if you did decide to get a moissy it wouldn’t be ready or arrive by the 18th. I’m sure they are feeling the Christmas rush right about now at places like MCo, C&C and Schubach’s. The lead time on a ring is 2 weeks (at least) with a few days shipping. Also, it’s that jewelers responsibility to replace your chipped stones. DO NOT BACK DOWN on that.
ETA: Tell your parents and in-laws what happened to your ring, or say it’s off at the jewelers being sized. It won’t be the end of the world if they don’t see “the ring” right now. I know how you feel – my e-ring fell apart only a few weeks after my proposal so for the first 4 months of my engagement I was ringless. I got tired of telling everyone my first ring was a POS so when people asked I would just say it was at the jewelers getting sized.
Post # 12
sorry 🙁 why won’t the jeweler replace the stone? If he was the one who chipped it, he should replace it…no questions asked. Did you sign something stating they weren’t at fault if they set the stone? If you didn’t they should have to replace it.
Next question…..how bad is the stone damaged? Are you talking just chips taken out of the sides of the stone or did it actually split? I ask how bad the damage is because depending on where it is and how bad you could have it set in a bezel setting…you wouldn’t be able to see any damage (depending on where it’s it) and you would still have your stone…it may not be the mounting you wanted, but you still have your ring and your diamond.
Do you have any pics of it?? All is not lost 🙂 How big is the diamond?
Sorry for all the questions…just tryingn to figure something out for you
Post # 13
@franklyn: That sucks! Do you guys still have the diamond? How serious are the chips? Can it still be set/used?
I think that the jeweler saying that it chipped because of a feather is crazy, if they thought the stone would be damaged by setting it, then they should not have attempted it!
Maybe write about your experience on various vendor review sites and see if that encourages them to help you?
Other than that, I don’t really think buying a moissanite sounds like the best route for you, if you worry you may regret it/don’t want to keep it, it’s really just a waste of money.
I agree with the suggestion of setting a CZ if you go with a temp stone, it will be significantly less expensive. Though, I hope you’re able to get someting done and have your diamond replaced.
Post # 14
I completely understand being sentimental and being afraid of becoming attached to something you don’t love. I’m the same way with everything. I’d find a temporary ring that you love within your budget. E.g. you don’t need to go crazy on price, but make sure you like it. It could even be your and his birthstones or another stone you like. Nothing says it has to be a diamond. Then, when you get your new ring, you can wear it on your right hand.
As said before, definitely don’t back down on the jeweler. I would start telling everyone I can about how bad they are, and make sure they know it. Word of mouth has a tendency to get around fast. See how much they care about their reputation. In any case, I wouldn’t want friend making the same mistake.
Post # 15
@MintTurquoise: agree with this. OP, this is bogus. The jeweler should be worried about his reputation! Worried enough to give you another stone or at least a hefty discount towards one. UGH. So sorry you are dealing with this.
Post # 16
I know, I’m shocked as well, I’ve left reviews anywhere I can think of. He has been in business for quite a while too. The bbb file hasn’t been closed yet, but the jeweler is just flat out refusing to do anything.
@futuremrsk18: I think it’s worth about 1000? I will look into small claim court, I didn’t realize it might be possible without a lawyer. He could buy it fairly quickly, but it’s also the fact that we’re saving for a downpayment, and have a wedding to pay for! We’ve both been saying that it seems more reasonable to meet those goals first, before we buy a diamond, but then on the other hand, we both want me to have an engagement ring.
@megan331979: It’s badly enough chipped that it is visible when looking at it in one spot, and then some pretty bad scratching in another spot. I think it would be fairly hard to hide it. It’s not a huge stone, it’s about 1/3 of a carat.
@Heidibrooke: the jeweler was never offering to have it recut, he wanted us to pay for it to be recut. We originially said we didn’t think that was fair, and he just absolutely lost his cool. throwing things and turning red. He said he was going to call the cops if we didn’t leave immediately. It was fairly shocking.
Thank you for all the sympathy, I very much appreciate all the support.
I hadn’t thought that the moissy people would probably be very busy right now, that solves that problem! I do like the idea of a gemstone ring, I’m going to suggest that to my guy and see what he says!