African American Bees getting married in 2014…let's introduce ourselves!

posted 3 years ago in African-American
Post # 3
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - SPRING VALLEY COUNTRY CLUB

Hey there!!! I am getting married 09/28/2014 in Boston. I am 30, and i have been with my fiance for 6 years. 

My whole wedding is a lot of DIY. I have designed my STD, Inviations, Menu’s. Isle runner, table numbers. I got mostly got all that stuff off wedding paper divas. Very easy and affordable.

My wedding theme is Cinderella. I am having pumpkin center pieces(with fall themed flowers inside them) Cinderella’s carraige as wedding favor boxes. Lots of fall colors. I have most of my wedding put together because it’s at a country club. They do all the food and drinks and the wedding ceremony will be held there as well.

I have 8 bridemaids, and i have chosen their dresses already and i will be ordering them April first.

I am not having rehersal dinner because of the cost, i am trying to keep everything under 30,000. But it’s really hard.

It’s going ok. My biggest issue is the fighting with my fiance, i am doing everything alone. And he’s not really all that helpful

Post # 4
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@Soon2BeeFirstLadyJee:  Hi, and congratulations on your engagement! My wedding date is roughly a week before yours, yay for being month twins. I am 29, currently live in Southern California, but was born (and largely raised) in the south. We are fairly well into the planning stages of our destination wedding– we are getting married in San Jose del Cabo. It is a little different from a “destination, beach, resort…” type of wedding though.

We found a small boutique hotel with a chapel that will serve as our venue. We bought out the rooms between friends, family, and the bridal party. It is a very charming, whimsical place and area; the town has a very lively historical art district that we are hoping our guests enjoy. Our budget is about $38K excluding honeymoon, but when I first started planning, my budget was around $22K… I am great at planning and budgeting, but really didn’t know how much things cost in the wedding industry until I started planning for our wedding. Also, our budget is the way it is such that we can pay for our family and other VIPs lodging costs and offset some travel costs, which we are happy to be able to do.We are inviting about 90 people, but budgeting for about 60 people, and likely 40-50 will ultimately show up.

We plan to have a welcome dinner the day before the wedding, and a farewell brunch the day after the wedding. So far we have not figured out specific things that we are doing around the ceremony, but we do have a priest. In fact, I think we have the basics ( officiant, photographer, venue, guitarist, DJ), but now need to fill in all the little details. The main color will be plum; which complement the flowers in the garden like setting of our venue. I think it’s appropriate for a fall wedding as well. I ordered my dress and it should arrive by June… really excited about that one.

The idea of a hosting the reception at a railroad station sounds so cool. I love it.

Good Luck on planning and once again, congratulations!

Post # 5
842 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Hello everyone! We haven’t finalized our date yet, but its looking like September or October, depending on what is available and his graduate school schedule. I’m in the very early stages of planning, but I’ve done a lot of research. We are not officially engaged, says my boyfriend, until he gives me my ring. It has taken him a while to source my stone as I wanted something a bit different. I asked for a padparadscha sapphire in a Tacori setting we picked out together. I think he has it because he told me I would have it “soon”, and I’ve been putting off losing weight and he told me I should start my diet. (Started it a few days ago). He already purchased my dress late summer last year. It’s from David’s Bridal and is from Vera Wang’s White collection, it’s blush pink! I’m in the process of making a brooch bouquet, as well. 

I’m thinking the budget will fall around 30k- nit including honeymoon and beauty, but he’d like less. It will be a big wedding as I have a huge family on my mother and father’s side. I’m thinking 300…. I’ll be hunting for bargains to pull off the budget I have in mind. 

Here is my dress….this is not me in it! Lol

Post # 9
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@Soon2BeeFirstLadyJee:  

Hi! Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I’ll be an October bride as well. I’m 24 and living in Virginia with my FI. We officially got engaged in July of 2013 but I was ‘planning’ long before the ring came lol. The budget is $10,000 and I’m crossing my fingers that if we go over its no more than $2,000. Our colors are Brown, Champagne, Yellow, and Ivory. I’m a mostly DIY bride and i’ll be taking on the flowers (SAMs club), centerpieces (birdcages and wine bottles) and all decorations, cake stand, the booze, and some of the food. Ive already bought our table cloths, candles and holders, and my shoes during various black friday sales. I’m ordering hydrangeas (white and yellow), roses (ivory and yellow), and babys breath and plan to arrange them with my ladies. We currently have a guestlist of like 175 people which is way bigger than my orginial 100 person max idea but I’m hoping to end up at like 130. My hunny has a huge family. For food we’ll be having three separate stations: asian, italian, and southern comfort. I love variety so I knew buffet style was the way to go for me. I have 5 bridesmaids and I’m searching for the perfet dress for them cause I want them to look like gorgeous grecian goddesses. I bought my maggie sottero dress in September for 75% off! I ultimately want the ceremony to be quick, 20 minutes tops. I’ve had the processional song picked out for about 2 years and I listen to it while I walk on the tredmill and pretend im walking down the aisle lol. I want our day to be all about just stuffing our faces, drinking, and dancing with our guests.

I’m glad i found this! I love being able to see how many other african american guys/gals are here to get inspiration from.

Post # 10
23 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Hello ladies I am 24 and my fiance and I are getting married June 28 on the 6th anniversary of when we first started dating. My budget is around 5k basically we are paying for things as we go and not going into debt. We are really non traditional so our wedding reflects that. We are not doing many traditions like the boquet toss/garter business, we will probably stay together the night before (and hopefully wake up and have a nice private bfast) basically anything that we didn’t like or felt didn’t fit us we did away with. I think we will have 50-75 guests and I have 3 bridesmaids. 

Post # 11
2414 posts
Buzzing bee

Hi ladies! I’m getting married in May (eek! It’s almost here!) and have been with my lovely fiance for 8 years (9 in March!). We’re getting married here in the Bay Area, not too far from my grad school. Our wedding’s turning out to be a vintage glam inspired wedding (props to my DOC for being able to figure out a common link between all the random pins I had on my Pinterest board) with tons of DIY elements. We’re hoping for no more than 100 people attending (though at this point, our wallents wouldn’t mind there being less!). I’m Korean and Black but we won’t be incorporating any cultural traditions. I had my heart set on doing a Korean tea ceremony but we couldn’t fit in our timeline or budget, unfortunately. We are doing cupcakes because I love cupcakes and a photobooth. We’re also doing a modified “first look” since FI doesn’t want to see me before the wedding even though I want to. Here’s what we’re going for:

This wedding has been a long time in the making and while I loosely planned a good chunk of it before we became engaged, I’m still kind of shell-shocked at the amount of stuff that has to be done!

Post # 14
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@SherryBlossom78:  That dress is beautiful.. please post a recap after your wedding!

Post # 15
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - SPRING VALLEY COUNTRY CLUB

@SherryBlossms78 THIS IS THE EXACT DRESS I HAVE BEEN STALKING ON LINE. I even went to DB to try it, and they didn’t have it availbale. I about cried.

Have you tried it on yet? How does it feel? Is it awesome.

Post # 16
842 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

@absolutely_tati:  Awwwwwwwww I’m sorry you couldn’t find it. :(.  I had them search their system for all sizes in Illinois. Turns out the one I tried on (larger size) was literally 5 mins from my job, and the smaller one he actually purchased was 30 mins away. I was in love with it from other peoples pics, and I liked it in the store too. I purchased it 2 sizes too small though, lol, in the size I was 3 years ago. I need to drop some weight to try on the one he actually purchased.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors