Post # 1
Today, one of my bridesmaids and I drove 3.5 hrs (7 total) to try on the dress I’ve been obsessing over since 8/20/07…. That’s a long time to have dress envy. What a day!
- Drive went really well! We had a good time discussing wedding plans and life, we got there 15 min. early!
- We couldn’t find store. Called and spoke to a space cadet. I kid you not this was the convo. “Where are you?” we’re on **** hwhy looking at the WAWA. “Oh, o…k. You’re going to want to take **North… I mean… South. “OK, doing that. “Did you see the super target?” No, we were looking and didn’t see it (turns out it CANT be seen from the road, duh!) “Oh…. o… k… um… what road are you on?” We’re on **** hwhy. We exited ** to this. “Oh, your on **. Youre going to want to take it toward…” “We’re ON the right road road, we’re not on the other one. “Oh, ok.”
- It got worse. I asked if it was across the road we were on from the giant hotel I saw, she said yes. We hit that point and there was nothing but a dump on the other side of the road. The store is on te SAME side of the road as the hotel
- 6 u-turns later, we made it at 2:03, 3 min. late…
- They knew we were coming in from OOT, had Justin ready for me.
- EVERY SINGLE DRESS IN THE STORE contained a price tag…. except the one I tried on.
- When I asked price they quoted me $2850. Most other Justins were $2400, the price I expected. The most I’ve ever heard is $2700 and the most I’ve ever hear anyone actually paid was $2400.
- I’m not that happy with the store. The owner or manager was gone so the girls (that are about 17) had to go “call in private” to negotiate the price. and I think they took the tag off to try and fetch a higher price. The girls were space cadets and while we got the price down to $2450 before tax… I don’t think I want to purchase from THIS store if I choose it.
Moving on to the dress!
I couldn’t wait. I was really nervous. No, that’s an understatement. I’ve been waiting since 2007, I was extremely nervous! I told her I wanted to do the whole look in the fitting room before I saw it in the mirror. Look should look like this….
And, instead of Grace Kelly, I got this….
POOF! There went the dream!
Wait… Let me try it on without the jacket….
ooooooh, much better!
But wait a sec… it has beading? I’ve never seen beading, I thought it was just lace… and what’s with the mini flowers!?
So, this is the current thought.
“If I look at the bottom of the dress and just see the lace and beading, I think it looks dated and 1980-90s. But, from afar….. WOW!”
So, at $2400 I’m not sold. I’m not – not sold. I’m more confused than ever!
- It’s HUGE, real huge, It may be hard to sit in the garden chairs of the reception (but at art center) and I may have to sit far away from FI at the mass 🙁
- It’s $1200 more that the other option
- + alterations and without going even more ginormously huge, I will need a $200 hollow to hem
- “beading can be taken off but it costs more money.” Kid you not, direct quote. Anyone else heard of this? Less material and labor and it costs more?
- mom saw pics and said it makes me look old. I’m 25 for 11 more days!
- Mom also said she never pictured me in lace and she’s been picturing me in the other dress for almost a month. i.e. she’s REALLY attached to the other dress and I can hear her getting emotional every time I bring up another one.
- Um, can we say alterations? ouch. IF the hollow to hem came screwed up there’s nothing that can be done really as it’s not really a dress that can be hemmed.
- But…. wow….
So…. So confused!
Dress 1 $2400
Dress 2 $1100 (or less as available online!)
Oh, and in case it helps, the bottom right of this image is our actual reception location, lit in the same colors of our scheme. My lighting guy will do more though…
Post # 3
Both dresses are beautiful, but I would definitely go with the Allure dress. It’s much more modern and fresh and I think it would suit your venue perfectly. Purple is very bold and in right now and doesn’t seem to go with the first dress…the first dress seems like it would go better with earth tones or softer colors.
It sounds to me like you’ve pretty much talked yourself out of dress 1. But I know how hard it is to let go of the idea of the dress you’ve loved for so long. I was in love…and I mean in obsessed with this one venue from the pictures online, but when I visited it I was truly disappointed. But yet I still wanted to try and see if I could make it work knowing deep down it wouldn’t.
Hope that helps! Good luck!
Post # 4
I dont think you should get the dress 1 since youre hesitant and dont seem to love it. Although I could see how dress #1 could look dated, personally I think it is so much more flattering on your body then dress two. That sweet heart neckline and shape of the waist is just extremely flattering in my opinon. I dont think dress #2 does anything for you, thats just my opinion. I agree with you I dont like that lace cover thing it looks really dated.
Post # 5
I think Dress #1 is lovely, but Dress #2 has a better fit on you. Dress #1 is wearing you… you’re wearing Dress #2. I’m loving the back of Dress #2! Your venue is also too rockin for #1, which seems better suited for a throwback romantic wedding. So between those things and the price… I voted for #2! Best luck!
Post # 6
One more thing. I agree the skirt for dress one is swallowing you, I was referring to the top being more flattering. I dont like the cut of the waist on dress 2
Post # 7
Ya, I don’t really like the cut of the waist either… but… I’ve tried on almost everything in a 3 hr radius… and in Texas… lol
Post # 8
I think they’re both beautiful…but since you look awesome in both I vote for dress #2! It looks like it’d fit in perfect with your venue and you’re def. rocking it 🙂 Let us know what you choose!
Post # 9
I think the first dress is ten shades of gorgeous! But that’s completely personal opinion, and the price tag would knock it out of the running for me. The second doesn’t look as figure flattering as the first. Maybe keep looking?
Post # 10
i personaly like dress 1 withouth the lace long sleeve part..it looks so pretty on you..dress #2 looks nice too but i really like #1…good luck with your decision!
Post # 11
Oo this is hard. Both are beautiful! I really love the shape of #1– the sweetheart neckline is fabulous on you and I love the higher waist than the dropped waist of the second dress. BUT, I love the fabric and modern feel of the second dress. Is it possible that the answer is… neither? If it is definitely one of these two, I’d go with #2. It is beautiful, works better for your venue, and I’d never know that it is slightly less awesome of a shape on you without seeing it right next to the other.
Post # 12
I, personally, think dress 1’s top part look much better and more flattering in you..but *dies* HOW MUCH?? i would have croaked if I was quoted that much for one dress esp with all that detail=more money to alter it. I also think with the jacket it looks really old and outdated like your mom said.
I think that dress 2 back is gorgeous, but I don’t really like the top. i think the sweetheart top is more flattering for you.
I would pick dress two, because of the back and the price. maybe you can get it alter as a sweetheart ….???
But, in all, it’s just my opinion and I think you should pick the dress that you love!!
Post # 13
I actually think dress 1 without the jacket is GORGEOUS! That being said, you look stunning in the second dress, too and you should be comfortable with your selection. If you feel the first is too dated, don’t pick it because you’ll regret it. Good luck, you will be lovely no matter which you pick!
Post # 14
*I* don’t think it looks too dated without the jacket, but I would want the beading removed and just leave the lace. The beading is just, too much.
I know the sweetheart looks better, but I actually am more comfortable in the other neckline 😉 lol
my mom HATES sweethearts. that was another reason she didn’t “love” dress 1
Post # 15
I love both dresses, but the allure seems to look perfect and fit your venue and style and i think it’s gorgeous!
Save the money! That extra grand could be your honeymoon and the second dress is just stunning!
Post # 16
I disagree with some of the posts…I think the waist on #2 is VERY flattering. In my book a drop-waist is a must on a big ballgown, it shows the curve of the waist and the hips nicely and elongates the torso. Otherwise the poof just swallows the body and does a girl’s figure no justice. So I still vote for #2. However, #1 is a beautiful dress, and you do carry it as well as the model does if not better! If you loved it in the pics, I think no reason to be disappointed because it looks just as pretty in your photos. I’m not crazy about the long-sleeve top though, I think that’s what’s making you look older. Bit too conservative for my taste.