Post # 1
So when we first got engaged, the OFFERED to send us on a honeymoon for 2 weeks to Hawaii, but money got tight so they were gonna send us on a cruise…now we dont know ANYTHING about where we are going, IF we are going and its 1 month away..
Everytime I ask his mom she says, just have faith or it’ll be a suprise (sarcastically) but I dont work like that, actually need to see proof of something…because if they cant do it, we will find a way….
We have talked to them on MANY occasions and they never come to a conclusion, and it leaves us hanging.. I want to book our own place but im afraid she will try and suprise us but then we end up double booked. But if I dont book us somewhere and she doesnt either, then I will be SUPER pissed… Im sooooo frustrated, what do you suggest, because obviously talking to them isnt working..
Post # 3
I would have your FI talk to them. Just ask him to ask them, if they have something planned for sure. They don’t have to tell you what it is, but just ask him to let them know that you need to know, so you don’t book something. And also have him let them know that it is okay if they don’t have something planned and that both of you understand if they can’t book something for you. From what you have written though, I am thinking that they do have something planned. They just don’t want to tell you what it is. And maybe her being “sarcastic” is really her just trying to keep a secret.
Post # 4
I don’t know your parents, but if my parents said that to me it would then turn out to be a suprise. What are they like?
Post # 5
I agree with the PP’s that they may be making it a surprise. If it were me, I would say to them, “I love you both, and I’m praying that you’re doing this to surprise us, but in the off chance that you aren’t, we have a place that we will book this second unless you tell us not to. I won’t pry if you tell me to not book it and I will really trust it will all work out. So. Should I book this honeymoon or not?”
Post # 6
i would be so stressed i would start crying. so maybe try crying. i would! throw the ball in her court – it would be worse of her to not tell you when you wre crying than her trying to surprise you.
Post # 7
I would ask you fi what to do. If they have a history of not keeping promises, he would be the one to know it.
Post # 8
Other. I would have your FI talk to them. And if they still say whatever, then tell them you’re going to book something the next day. If they don’t have anything set up then they won’t care. If they do, then they’ll be upset and say it’s truly going to be a surprise.
Post # 9
I agree with other posters. You need to have a serious talk with them, or have your FI do it. Let them know it’s OK if they want the destination to be a surprise, but that you need to know that there is at least something planned, otherwise you will plan something yourself. They have to be able to understand that.
Post # 10
What about booking your own honeymoon but getting trip insurance on it so that you can cancel if necessary?
Post # 11
Okay so today they called and said they have 400 dollars for us to use on the honeymoon or the wedding…so FI and I decided that we are going to book rooms somewhere and then use whatever else we recieve for the fun stuff!
Thanks for your help!
Post # 12
I’m certain his parents would tell you if they couldn’t sort your honeymoon- I would hope so at least! I’d have faith, surely they’d give you the chance to arrange something for yourselves otherwise?! Fingers crossed tight for you!