Post # 1
so we have owned our home now since october 2008. love our house – but yeah – DON’T love the little “housemates” that sometimes come along with it…(not talking about our pets, lol) but yeah – so we first noticed about 2 weeks ago that there was a rat (yes, a RAT not a mouse) in the garage as my husband had bought a nice big plastic tub to put our outside dog’s food in…well – the lid had somehow gotten a whole in it – and you could tell it was scratch marks…
so we put out rat poison (don’t worry the dogs never go in the garage) – and caught it! found it dead and Darling Husband took care of it…well then the other day I came home and saw a dead rat outside on our deck (which is attached to the house and the garage with the breezeway in front of the deck and the breezeway connects the garage and house…) so outside – where one of our dogs is all day long was a dead rat. FUN! so Darling Husband cleaned that one.
I ran some errands today – came home – and guess what was INSIDE the breezeway on the step that goes INTO the house? yup – another dead rat.
i was going to leave it for Darling Husband to clean up – and I took the dog outside in the yard to play with her – only to find A SECOND (ok, yeah actually makes FOURTH) dead rat out in the yard! so I put on as much protective gear as possible – got the broom and garbage bag and cleaned up the nastiness myself…but of course – being concerned – I decided to start cleaning out the garage…
here’s the reallllllly gross part – if you’re grossed out easily, stop reading now…
yeah – cleaned out the back of the garage – and i’m not joking you (no dead rats, which was good) – but the amount of rat droppings I cleaned up out of our garage. I had to get a painter’s mask because it was THAT foul! I have never had a more disgusting day than today.
and – yes i did find ONE more…out on the deck when I went to fill up the bucket to clean/bleach the garage floor – I saw something furry (and dead) sorta buried under the deck – Darling Husband came out to help me clean that one up.
so 5 dead rats. yeah. i think i’m done for the day!
i HAD planned on spending all day working on wedding stuff down in our basement…yeah – not so much! oh well – at least it’s all cleaned up now and it’s not like it’d be a surprise had it gotten worse!
anyone else have any LOVELY days like mine so far with their homes?
Post # 3
Wow that’s so gross! I hope that they are all out in the open and not in the walls rotting somewhere!
Post # 4
me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! course i’m afraid they may be under the deck – which isn’t exactly something we can just rip up…
Post # 5
Yeah, hopefully not! I wonder if you had a nest in your house somewhere. That seems like a lot of rats just hanging around.
Post # 6
OMG that is gross!!!!! my Darling Husband had a mouse problem when we stayed in the house he ented before we moved…it was so gross…we’d come home and my cat would be playing with a mouse that she killed in the middle of the floor…
Post # 7
yeah – that’s something i’m really afraid of – i sooooo hope there’s not a nest somewhere! we put out more rat poison so i guess we will just see. now, granted, our house is very old – built in 1940 – so it’s not like it’s a brand new housing edition or anything…i DO love our house – but we have had issues with the house…let’s just hope – obviously – all the rats are gone! specially since our golden is outside all day long! the idea of her playing with them – i don’t even want to think about.
Post # 8
Yeah, old houses do have lots of different things going wrong with them sadly and they need a bunch of maintenance. But they sure are purdy!
I hope your dog doesn’t find one and play with it! That’s just so icky!
Post # 9
Have you thought about having a professional come out if maybe the issue persists? its sounds like they are nesting somewhere…good job on cleaning it all up…i would have NEVER gone anywhere near them! Im a wimp i know…lol. Make sure that there is no potential food near where you keep finding them (aka the dog food)…I opted to buy a newer house because I dont think I can deal with these types of issues. haha
Post # 10
yeah – i usually am a wimp – but at the same time – it NEEDED to be done. believe me, if I hadn’t had that mask – there’s NO way I could have cleaned it up. I can not begin to even try and describe how incredibly fowl that smell was. at least it’s done and over with!
Post # 11
5 dead rats are wayyy better than 5 live rats!
Post # 12
I have a pet rat who is a real sweetie, so part of me was laughing while I read this and another part felt guilty about laughing. But I know wild rats aren’t cuddly like mine…
I hope you got them all. That would definitely take some of the fun out of having your own place.
Post # 13
Something you might consider… If I ever have to use rodenticide I’ll put it in a live trap. That way they die in the trap and you don’t have to worry about your pets eating them or them dying in your walls. REALLY not fun and I’m sorry you had to do it, but way to suck it up!!
Post # 14
Ewww! That part where you said stop reading if you’re easily grossed out, that always gets me! I always have to keep reading if I see that! hah
Post # 15
OMG!!! I think it’s time you called pest control and have them come spray!
It sounds like you might have a nest nearby on your property!
We had a ant problem when we just bought the house. Yeah we have someone come spray yearly now!
Post # 16
Agree with cailtin. Be careful with rat poison because your dogs could catch the rats before they die and eat them and get sick. (I know, gross, I’m sorry)
We live in NYC where rats/mice are sort of a way of life. Luckily in 5 years, we’ve only had 4 and they’ve all been dead thanks to our trusty kitties. And they always bring them to Fiance, so I’ve never seen one.