Post # 1
A friend of mine and DH’s is planning a roadtrip to Alaska this summer and really wants us to go. As much as I would love to travel and see everything, I really don’t want to go, but DH is trying very hard to convince me.
I don’t think we should go because
1. We don’t have the money. We’re students, and the amount for the trip (close to $3000 for the two of us) is the same as one semester’s tuition. Also I looked up cruises to Alaska out of curiousity, and we could go on a roundtrip cruise for the same amount.
2. I can’t take that much time off of my job, especially not during the summer. Her planned time for the trip is also on our first anniversary.
3. We have to move in August or September (the trip is planned in August) to be closer to school. Being gone on a roadtrip for a few weeks would make that really difficult.
4. I know people will disagree with me for this one. But everyone going has VERY different views and values than us. The girl planning it is the same one who knowingly drank in my underage brother’s car on NYE, pressured her underage brother to drink in public, and gave quite a bit of alcohol to DH’s underage brother not that long ago. All of he girls that are going sleep around, and as Christians DH and I believe that sex is only for marriage. I don’t want to spend taht long cooped up with people who believe such different things than me.
5. I’m a bit worried about legal trouble with drinking. Here (we live in Alberta, so not that far from Alaska) we are all overage, but in the US all of us except 1 are underage. I’m worried that these people will use that to their advantage and we’ll get in trouble.
So, knowing all of this, would you go on this trip? I truly would love to travel and see other places, and so does DH, and I understand that these are good friends of his but these things scream unsafe to me.
Post # 3
Nope I wouldn’t go. Your reasons, all of them, seem valid to me.
Post # 4
I think the majority of your reasons are extremely good reasons not to go.
Post # 5
When I saw your title, I was all “hell yeah, who wouldn’t”. Then as I read your post my opinion did a 180. No, he’ll no! It’s an expensive trip to risk not enjoying yourself. And from what you described, it sounds like there us a good chance that it won’t be enjoyable. Wait until you and your DH can go alone or with people who you would be more travel compatible with. I personally can’t think of anyone other than FI that I want to be cooped up with for that long, but a cruise that allows for more shoe ration sounds awesome!
Post # 6
I wouldn’t go. It’s not an insignificant amount of money, for one. In addition, given your judgements of their behaviour and habits, you aren’t going to enjoy their company, and they probably aren’t going to enjoy yours, either.
It also just doesn’t fit into your schedule, if you can’t get that time off work, and if you need to move. Logistically, it’s not possible for you guys to join them. Personally, I’d mention the logistics and the cost as your reasons for declining.
Post # 7
@Tigerlilybride: In general i never turn down travel options; but you have so many reasons for not wanting to go with them, I definitly wouldn’t go if i were you… (time and money would be reason enough already; and those people don’t really sound like the kind of people you’d like to go travelling with).
Post # 8
@Tigerlilybride: I wouldn’t go. Driving sucks. I live in Alaska and have driven from Alaska to the states TEN times. It’s a LOT of time sitting in a car, and while the scenery is beautiful, it doesn’t change much. A day of driving is cool, more than that- no thanks. Taking the cruise for the same price makes way more sense, maybe in a few years when you have the money. All your reasons for not going are reasonable.
Post # 9
Don’t go. You can’t get the time off and can’t afford it. End of story. It’s the responsible choice.
Post # 12
Love to travel.
BUT having read thru all your points (well made BTW)… I would agree with the other Bees… not worth going.
Post # 13
Honestly after # 1 and 2 I don’t have to read any further! Don’t go on this trip!
Post # 14
Thank you everyone, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t being crazy. Sigh now to convince DH that its a bad idea. He seems to think that by then we’ll have extra money (ha! I wish) and he thinks it won’t be a problem with my job or moving. I just don’t understand how his mind works.
Post # 15
@Tigerlilybride: Would I go to Alaska, yes! DH and I have that in our sights at the top of our list however we can afford it. However, I firmly do not believe putting yourself in financial strain for a vacation regardless of the amazing destination. All other reasons aside (and just as valid) if you can’t afford it you shouldn’t do it. Period.
Post # 16
No…..you had me at “roadtrip”. I don’t roadtrip – I fly…lol. I also make it a point not to vacation with people who aren’t my very close friends.