- 7 years ago
I’m not going to lie, I love weddings for some odd reasons. Yes, I like the romance, and fun, and spending time with loved ones… but I really giggle about the little stuff that goes wrong, because that’s what I know I will remember and what will keep me laughing for years to come.
So, before I divulge what went wrong at our wedding, here are some highlights from other weddings I have attended or been a part of:
– Unity candle accidents… i.e. flaming wax on the bridesmaid dresses
– Attended an August beach wedding where it was so hot everyone was literally melting. To make matters worse, one of the groomsman had put some sort of dye in his hair so it was running down his face with the sweat.
– During the same beach wedding an giant, speedo-wearing old man was frolicking in the background… and definitely made it into a few of the photos
– Drunken bridesmaid wandering in the reception towards the end of grace, announces that she has “had to much to drink”, which was immediately followed by a very emphatic “AMEN” from all the guests
– Stepfather of the bride getting tanked and ripping his shirt off on the dance floor
– Feather themed wedding where I walked up to the altar afterwards to see a dead bird on the grass… weird, maybe prophetic, but entertaining.
And a few that I wouldn’t wish on anyone, including food poisoning, DJ not announcing the first dance or cake cutting and photographer missing them, overflowing toilets, etc.
So… with this in mind, and knowing how hilarious my friends and family are, I just knew the things that went wrong at our wedding were going to be pretty entertaining…
It poured. We had a cocktail hour before the ceremony and the bar was set up in a place where you had to go outside to get to it. Fortunately, the planner pulled out a bunch of gigantic umbrellas so we have great shots of everyone huddled under the umbrellas making bar trips.
The wedding planner jumped the gun and told the groomsmen we were ready, when in fact we weren’t. Groomsmen proceed in and had to stand there making jokes for 10 minutes about if I had decided to run…
My MOH (my darling little sister) realized as we were lined up around the corner to finally make our entrance that she forgot the ring. I sent the planner to go look for it and my sister looked back at me like “what do I do, I am standing in front of a hundred people and can’t walk down the aisle yet!”. I just shrugged and said, tell them! She turned around and announced “Sorry guys, I just pulled a Hugh Heffner and conveniently ‘forgot’ the ring”. Everyone cracked up, and the planner made it back downstairs in record time with the ring.
When my dad was giving me away, we hadn’t really practiced how he and the husband would acknowledge eachother, but I was delighted when my dad held his hand up for a high five. The photographer got it and it still makes me smile.
My MIL wore a glittery gold dress, and apparently hugged all of the groomsmen and my hubby, because all I could think about for the first five minutes was “Why are the guys all sparkly???”
When it came time to exchange rings, my sister dropped it. No joke. At this point everyone there was cracking up. I was already tearing up, so I definitely needed the comic relief.
The best man and my sister gave speeches at the reception, during which one of my bridesmaids (who was well on her way to intoxication at this point) accidentally spilled red wine all down the front of her cream colored BM dress. When another groomsman finished his speech, he asked if anyone else wanted to say anything. The drunken BM started to say “I’d like to say something” but never completely got it out, as her husband literally clapped his hand over her mouth.
So, as I said, these are the things I love because they are my friends and family (I wouldn’t expect any less entertainment) and you can’t plan for EVERYTHING to be perfect.
Thus, I would love to hear what funny occurrences happened at a wedding you went to or even at your own wedding!