(Closed) Allergic to your ring! :(

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

One of my friends is allergic to nickle and she paints (the stems on) all of her earrings with clear nail polish so she can wear them!

Not sure how you would feel about doing that to such a precious ring though, haha. Maybe see about getting it reset or plated in platinum?

Post # 4
Member
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

That’s so frustrating!  I knew I was allergic to nickel before my husband bought my engagement ring, so he bought a yellow gold ring.  I’m not sure if this would work for you, but I have heard of people putting a thin layer of clear nailpolish on the inside of the ring so you’re skin is no longer in contact with the nickel.

Is there anyway that you could have the ring reset in platinum?

Post # 5
Member
342 posts
Helper bee

oh no!  I’m so sorry that totally s*cks!  I don’t have the same problem but if you didn’t want to get platinum you can have it re-set in Palladium.  That’s what metal mine is and I’ve been very happy with it.

Post # 6
Member
1371 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

This happened to my mom.  Her finger looked like it was rotting!  She bought a new ring in sterling silver and has had no problems with it.  My sister also has bad metal allergies.  Sorry this is happening to you!

Post # 7
Member
755 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@TobeMrsC: I’m that way with “cheap” jewelry. My ring is White Gold and it’s fine so I don’t think it’s nickel that I’m allergic to but if it’s not gold or sterling silver, I can’t wear it.

Post # 9
Member
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Just as a note on the nail polish – it does wear off, I know my friend periodically has to re-paint her earrings (her ears get icky from the allergy – I won’t go into detail because it’s REALLY gross! but whenever they start to act up, she knows she needs to repaint those earrings).

Post # 10
Member
5658 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2012

Yeah, try the clear nail polish trick. I am allergic to nickel aswell and that works for me. However, you will have to reapply the nailpolsih every now and then.

Post # 11
Member
1003 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

That sucks. FI’s mom had to have her ring cut off in the ER she had such a bad reaction.

Post # 12
Member
459 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Aw, that sucks. I’m also allergic to nickel. I do the clear nail polish trick on things like belt buckles, but I’d hate to do it on a nice piece of jewelry I’d want to wear my whole life.

Is it possible for you to get the ring reset, as expensive as that might be? There are other metal options less expensive than platinum for people with nickel allergies. My ring is palladium, which is fine for those with nickel allergies. Another option is white gold alloyed with palladium rather than with nickel.

Post # 13
Member
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

@TobeMrsC: 

what if you had a layer of platinum or palladium added to the inside of your wedding band? it’s a more permanent and “nicer” solution than nail polish.

Post # 14
Member
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

That happens to me with certain gold jewelry, but for some reason not my white gold engagement ring or wedding bands. The clear nailpolish trick doesn’t help, I still break out and my skin turns green. I don’t know exactly what it is, maybe the carat weight? Because I have no idea why my e-ring doesn’t give me the same problem and it is definitely white gold.

Post # 15
Member
400 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I have the same problem, at first i kept getting it replated but that got tired quick.  I got another ring, in silver and white sapphires i wear all the time.  I’m replating the ring one more time and using it only for special occ. when i want/need that bling.

Post # 16
Member
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

@judya64: instead of having it plated, I wonder if your jeweler could solder a thin band of platinum or palladium inside the band. plating is a super thin veneer, but an actual band of metal added to the inside could last a while – like a thin ring inside your ring. you would have to size the whole thing up a teeny bit, but I think it would be worth it if it works!

The topic ‘Allergic to your ring! :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors