Allure 8950 Sizing Issue

posted 1 year ago in Dress
358 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

No way you’re a 20.  I am 5’5″, 147lbs, and I ordered an 8, which was one size down from my current size (expecting to lose two dress sizes at least, but didn’t want to take a risk).  For comparison, my current measurements are 39-29-35.  I can just barely squeeze into a street size 6 at the moment (the boobs are the issue).

Everyone says it’s easier to take a dress in than out, but my consultant told me that taking it in more than two sizes will affect the look of the dress.  

I have an Allure, and my consultant said there is about one dress size of play in the seams.  I think you should find out the waist measurement and seam allowance for each size, and pick the smallest size possible that can be let out at the waist to meet your measurement, rather than picking one that is wide at the waist.  that way you won’t need to mess with the rest of the dress as much.

526 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@Aadams4:  I would get remeasured at a different place before placing the order! I got measured wrong (in my case was mainly because I was wearing one if those vs strapless bras when I got measured!!! I am 5’5″, 115 lbs and in a martina liana dress (Australian sizes) that’s a 8, in a Maggie dress a 2/4 Look up allure’s size charts after you got remeasured!

15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2013

It may also depend on the cut of the dress. I’m 5’10″ weighing 138 lbs. my street size is a 4/6 and my allure is an 8. I would go with the sizing chart previously posted.

187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

I would ask to be measured again. I’m a street size 10 and my Allure gown is a 14 (purchased for largest measurement) and has to be taken in. I can’t imagine a planet on which you would need a size 20 dress. If you were to order up, I’d think you’d need no more than a size 10 and then altered to fit, especially if you are changing it to a corset back.

Good luck with this!!

342 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Definitely asked to get measured again.  And I don’t know if it is an option, but you could call around to see if another bridal shop carries that dress and get measured by that boutique. (Plus, you can compare prices.)

1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Hi,

my wedding was 2 weeks ago and this was my dress. It’s absolutely stunning btw. I am a 10-12 and my dress was a size 14. There is no way you are 18 or 20. Where are ordering from?

78 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I’ve just looked at the Allure sizing chart and the size they are telling you to order against your measurements are pretty accurate as they’ll have to order to your largest measurement. On the allure sizing chart, you’d need to order an 18 which is a 34.5inch waist measurement, or the size 20 is 35.5inch 

If it were me, I’d probably order slightly smaller as you’ll be paying quite a bit to take the bust and hips in. You can generally let a dress out by 1-2 sizes, so your seamstress can always let the waist out if it really is too small. Btw, the size 10 has a waist measurement of 28 inches so I’d be a bit reluctant ordering it that small 

2425 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Aadams4:  I really think you were measured wrong. My waist size is 28″ and I am a regular street clothes size 6-8. I ordered a dress (not from Allure) that was a size 10. Definitely see about getting remeasured!

1083 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Wha size did yo try on? Did you get it all zipped/buttoned up? When I was wedding dress shopping I found that they advised me to order bigger sizes as well. They even had me trying on size 18 dresses which were just way too big everywhere on my body. I ended up buying a size 16 I’m a street size 12/14 depending on the style. In the end I didn’t listen to th cosultants because I was very uncomfortable with buying a gown that was too big.

You must log in to reply to this topic. New to Weddingbee? Sign up to join the conversation!