(Closed) Alteration estimate and advice? VW351007: new vs. used

posted 4 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
388 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Chances are if you buy it used you are still going to spend the same amount on alterations.  You will probably still need to make minor adjustments to fit your body, so a used dress will not save you on alterations.  

I do bridal alterations.  It looks like since you live in LA, you are probably going to spend more than here in WI.  A hem on a dress like that will probably run you $250-300, and bustles $50-100.  Side seam altereations will likely be $50-100.  If you need the darts in the bust adjusted, that will be very spendy!  I would recommend filling out with bra cups.

The other brides $600 might be close.  I am sorry to say, alterations are expensive, but worth it.  Someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing can screw up a dress really fast, and their is no going back.  If you are going to invest in a dress, you should work alterations into the cost.  Best of luck!

Post # 4
219 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I am getting married in this dress in about 28DAYS! I just picked mine up from alterations yesterday and only had it hemmed and bustled, so I can help you there. I live in a small, small town so I used David’s Bridal and they are expensive as we all know. 

For the hem, because it is 12-13 layers they charged me $150 (so a smaller boutique shop would be less). And for the bustle they charged my $55. The bustle is amazing. I wish I could take pictures for you but it is packaged for the wedding after they steamed it so it doesn’t get wrinkled and I don’t want to take it out. It looks so amazing in fact I might wear it bustled for the wedding! Along the back there is a row of buttons, what they did is take 7 buttons and put them along the dropped waistline, and the button hooks are hidden in the tulle and you cannot see them when the tulle is dropped. 

It’s similar to this:

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/bustle-for-a-tulle-dress#axzz2UypVCeuJ

I wish I was a smaller size and I would sell you mine after! I am a 12 and the dress fit me perfectly after about a 5 lb weight loss so it would zip up 🙂 

The topic ‘Alteration estimate and advice? VW351007: new vs. used’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors