(Closed) Alternative Catering for a Dinner for 200 people?

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
2641 posts
Sugar bee

I kind of want to say since it’s in yuor parent’s backyard, you coyld really do what you want.  I like the paninis the best.  Would that be all you’re servincg, or some sort of station?  Could you have a basic buffet catered along with the paninis? Or could the caterer just provide the apninis and some other meat main dish?  Then you could cover some of the side dishes you mentioned?  Maybe you and your Bms or some relatives could have a fun cooking party to make some of the food to freeze.

Post # 4
23 posts
Newbee

I agree with tanya123 that the panini idea could be definitely upgraded to make it a nice dinner. doing a basic catering and supplementing with your own food is also another great idea. costco/ many grocery chains have very good catering that you could take advantage of.

other ideas-

-variety of kabobs/ roasted meats (maybe you could say a mediterranean themed) with grilled veg, assortment of cold salads, fruits, and signature beverages. this way your manpower is kept at a minimum during the party as you can prep quite a bit ahead of time. later in the night when people start getting hungry again, you can either whip out the leftovers in pita/ flatbread for sandwichs and add in fun sweets. 

-you could always do the pig roast/ bbq for your reception rather then your rehersal dinner and do the paninis/ grilled veg/ salads for the rehersal. are you already committed to having the bbq for the rehersal?. i went to a reception that was a pig roast, and it was great fun! plus, your side items for the meal are easy options.

-is there a culinary school near you? often times you may find advanced culinary students that will be of great assistance, whether to cater or to be the ‘help’ that grills/ setup/ prep etc…and would be more budget friendly. 

Post # 5
1042 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I LOVE the idea of a Panini grill! That would be so much fun for your guests!

Post # 6
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Ooo the paninis sound fun! A casual restaurant down the street from me does catering and it’s only $12 per person. They obviously serve it in the metallic containers, but still! You could provide nicer serverware, but as long as it tastes good, people are happy! Hmmm, sorry I’m out of ideas =(

The topic ‘Alternative Catering for a Dinner for 200 people?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors