Post # 1
Fiance and I have an anniversary next Monday. The past year has been really tight for me money-wise and I have missed several gift-giving occasions. I would like to give my honey something, but my budget is going to be about $20. He is not sentimental, though I will be giving him a handwritten letter. Any ideas???
He is not expecting a gift, but I would like to surprise him since he won’t be expecting it.
Post # 3
My go-to gifts are from thinkgeek.com, but everyone I know is generally pretty geeky/nerdy and into that sort of stuff.
Post # 4
Haha I love thinkgeek.com! The only thing is that you can get a set of whiskey stones for 20.00 (and lots of other cool things too!), but you will have to pay for shipping UGH.
I’m putting myself out there………..
I spent 80.00 on high end whiskey and 7.00 on a collection of lubes from spencer’s as well as 10.00 on a book of sexy ‘coupons’. SO won’t shut up about the lube and had the most fun holding these coupons over my head (I’m happy to oblige)…I think he was (sorta) happy about the pricey whiskey-which had a distilled date of our anniversary. So, maybe you can find drinks (if he drinks) with a born on date of your anniversary, or a bottle of wine that is set to be at it’s peak this month (Will take leg work on your part but can prob find wine for an affordable price).
Out of the two gifts, I think my SO appreciated the naughtier gifts haha!!!
Post # 5
I don’t know what the cost would be over there, but I got my dh a pen set engraved with his initials… granted after 3 years of constant use he managed to put one through the wash which means it no longer works so I’m waiting to get him new ones sometime…
Post # 6
I know you said he’s not sentimental, but since it’s an anniversary, can you do a photo gift? I know places like CVS and Walgreens will make photo calendars (wall and/or desk style) and other similar gifts. I think Walgreens even does playing cards.
Post # 7
Here are a few ideas – hope this helps!
1. Buy something he can keep on his keyring and get it engraved with a sweet message
2. Get a Groupon for a small photobook and fill it with photos and stories about your last year together
3. Give him coupons (my Fiance loved this for his last birthday – I included ones like I would make his favourite cake for no reason, I’d make him game day snacks, and I’d watch football with him without complaining and while sporting his team’s tshirt, etc)
Post # 8
@donna_saur: Ive had a mouse pad made at walgreens with a collage of us, but Darling Husband is sentimental, sometimes! You could do….a shirt from his favorite store, phone case…what does he use often? Maybe a new one of that item.
Post # 9
Does he have a sweet tooth? Get him a birthday cake from his favourite place and tell him it’s all his/just for the two of you. Not good for the waist line but I would die for such a present.
How much are magazine subscriptions?
Or you could take a drive somewhere and pack an amazing picnic.
Post # 10
Coupon book. I gave it to my Fiance one year (with categories for dates, chorse, affection, etc) and didn’t put an expiration date on them. He’s used a couple but he’s keeping it for who knows what.
I worked hard on it… downloaded some free fonts to make it interesting, put cool images in it, drew a bit in it, printed it on cool paper, bound it, etc.
The only reason I know he likes it is because he put it in his nightstand drawer with all his important mementos.
Also – totally agree with the PP who mentioned Groupon. Just be careful – tips aren’t included, and the resturant deals can be really tricky. I’d try to stick with experiences or museum tickets or something. 🙂
Post # 11
Mr. S went all out for my birthday this year, and I don’t have as much expendable money as he does, so I wanted to make sure that he knew that I put thought and effort and love into his birthday as well. His birthday is coming up this month, and while I am getting him a couple of pricier things, here are some of the simple things I am doing for him:
- I combined Pinterest ideas that I saw and ordered postcards that say “Happy 28th Birthday Mr. S!” with a picture of the beach (which is one of his favorite places). I coordinated with 28 of his friends and family to mail them the postcards ready to go in an envelope, and instructed them to write a birthday wish, funny memory, or reason why they love him and drop them in a mail by a certain date so I would have them back. His friends are scattered throughout the county and one friend is deployed, so tracking down addresses took some time. My plan is to buy 28 balloons, and tie one postcard to each and have those as a surprise when he gets home from work that day. The postcards cost me around $10.
- Mr. S loves pumpkin and cheesecake, so I am going to make him a pumpkin cheesecake for his birthday. We are going out to a fancypants restaurant on the weekend before his birthday to celebrate, but on his actual birthday, I will be making him a manly birthday dinner and the cheesecake.
- With that dinner, I am planning on having candles everywhere and to be wearing just a flirty apron and heels with full hair and makeup when he walks in the door from work. We are pretty casual day to day and while I like to get super girly sometimes, its not an everyday thing for me, so I thnk the dress up will be a nice treat.
He is always so thoughtful and takes such great care of me, and I just really want him to feel loved and cared for on his birthday. So he will probably be handed a drink when he walks in the door and be getting a nice massage that night as well. Just totally pampered 🙂
Post # 12
@donna_saur: For our 1 year dating anniversary I bought a mason jar and filled it with 365 things I love about him & some quotes about love. It was a bit on the time consuming side but a nice token/gesture. For our 1 year wedding anniversary I made a photobook of all the trips we took together during our first year of marriage. It was $20 at costco.com.
Post # 13
@Hyperventilate: Ha! We are super nerdy. Planning a Star Wars wedding! I have gotten him a few SW related gifts in the past. I do love ThinkGeek, and I will definitlooks we what they have in my price range!
@veryberry13: that’s so creative! neither one of us drink!!! I used to, but he is very adamant about an alcohol-free home. But I love the idea!
@BtoR: that’s awesome!!! I always steal pens off his desk! engraving is pretty expensive here, but I may keep this in mind!
@jesssamesssa: I loooooove picture gifts! I have done this quite a bit! Mostly framed pictures of us. Most recently, I framed pics of us in Star Wars helmets with fabric-covered mats and bright red frames! I feel like I’ve overdone the picture thing and I never see them used….still love them though!
@Everdeen: he just had a birthday and I made him a $2.50 cake from a mix. It was literally all I could afford for his birthday! I have thought about doing something similar since he RAVED about the cake. Definitely a possibility.
@CakeyP: I’m totally into DIY gifts! So personal and relatively inexpensive. How special for him to keep it there! I bet that really made it more meaningful for you! 🙂
@Sawyer13: WOW!!! You really thought of everything! I have definitely thought of something “sexy” but we don’t live together, so it would have to be a picture or something… I will look on Pinterest and see if I see anything. I completely forgot about that resource until your post!
@ThePrincessBride10612: oh my gosh, that’s awesome!!! So original! i am running short on time, so this would probably take more time and planning than I have. But I’m so glad you shared! Did your honey like it??
Post # 14
@Everdeen: +1, birthday cake and a nice homemade dinner are always nice.
Post # 15
@donna_saur: I saw a $20 groupon for paintballing
Post # 16
last year I learned how to play our song on the guitar and played it for him 🙂
can you do something like that?