Post # 1
What do we do about this? From our caterer re: staff:
“Note: These labor fees are in lieu of any gratuities. Tips are appreciated but not required”
It seems explicit, but I find it confusing, because gratuities should never be required. However, they suggest that “labor fees” serve in the place of a gratuity (fine with us). Still, should we also consider a traditional tip (aka 15-20%) when thinking about the “not required but appreciated” gratuity? Or are they suggesting that we just give the staff a little something extra?
I am confused:)
Post # 3
Look at anything that you give them in addition as an extra tip. Assuming that the “labor fee” is 15-20%, that is the tip. In the same way that you might tip extra for exceptional service in a restaurant, you may want to tip a small amount additionally, but 15-20% isn’t necessary. That would make the overall tip about 40%, which, if it were me, would mean that they carried me in on a litter and massaged my feet while I ate!
Post # 4
Sounds like the labor fee was put into place by people who didn’t tip. I think it’s saying that if you feel like tipping more, go for it! But, if not, it’s ok.
I liken it when you go to dinner with a large group and they usually add a 15% gratuity. I sometimes change this to a higher amount – when I feel it’s warranted.
Same goes for your situation. If you feel like you want to give them more than the labor fee, then go for it. They may state it that way for tax purposes, etc.