(Closed) Any 2010 Hudson Valley brides?

posted 8 years ago in New York – Hudson Valley, New York
Post # 3
108 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Hey there: I’m also looking to get married along the Hudson Valley– I live in NYC so need a place no more than 2 hrs away. I just started calling some venues up for summer 2010…we’d really like to do something outdoors on a low budget but it looks like costs will definitely add up as soon as the W word comes up (like for a house rental). If you have any ideas for inexpensive venues, I’d love to hear them! THanks.

Post # 4
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Hi there – I am getting married in May of 2010 at The Gardens at Catlin Creek in Slate Hill, NY which is right by Woodbury Commons/Monroe, NY.  I am originally from Rockland County and currently live in Astoria, Queens.  It takes us just over an hour to get there from Queens and a little less from Rockland so it was a attractive option as we too didn’t want to go more than 2 hours outside of NYC.  We looked at a bunch of places in and around the Hudson Valley so if you questions or anything definitely let me know!  I was trying to keep costs down but it is hard because the Hudson Valley is so close to NYC.  Catlin Gardens was offering (and still might be) a discounted price for their Saturday night wedding so we were able to lock in a price of $98 per person.   The draw of Catlin Gardens is definitely their outdoor space.  We are having the ceremony and cocktail hour outdoors in the gardens so hopefully the weather will be nice.   I also just booked my florist – Flowers by David Anthony who is also located in Monroe, NY.  I would definitely love to hear about the different vendors you decide on because I am trying to make sure the cost of everything is in-line with the other vendors in the HV area.  Good luck on your searches!  

Post # 5
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Just wanted to add that I just checked out the website for Cole Hill Estate and it looks awesome!  Totally neat, rustic place to have a wedding!!

Post # 6
108 posts
Blushing bee

To AmycBrandy: Thanks, will look into the Catlin. Congrats on booking a venue. It feels like an enormous task! Are you also staying at Catlin the whole weekend? Are you doing your reception indoors or outside (do you need to rent a tent)? Thank you for the info.

Post # 7
33 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Hi Ladies!

I’m getting married in the Hudson Valley on June 5, 2010. I wish I had found this local board earlier in my search for a venue, because it was greuling. Or maybe I am just picky. Ironically, we ended up in a place I would have never considered, but here’s what happened first.

Our first choice was to rent a house near New Paltz for a week or a weekend and have the wedding on the property. But the cost of tents, caterers, and all the rest was astronomical and home owners always tack on a site fee of atleast $1500 for weddings. They say it’s because of the "foot traffic" on the land.

So, we decided to go the usual route, but try to find a place with beautiful scenic views, an outdoor ceremony option, good food, and nearby hotel accomofations. We went to A LOT of places and wound up loving The Garrison and The Highlands Country Club in Garrison, NY near coldspring. They are both owned by the same people. We went with the Highlands Country Club because we are having a smaller wedding and I LOVED the high ceilings, dark wood floors, exposed brick fireplaces, and double verandas. The place has a simple, rustic, classy feel to it, and you can get married on the golf course. It was $125 per person for a Saturday night with a 100 person minimum (which we were going to have a hard time meeting, since vendors and children can not be included in the 100) and I got them down to $1000 to have the ceremony on site. There is a small restaurant attached to the venue that you can rent out for the evening for an additonal $2000 I think. If you don’t, the door to it remains closed and outside people can still have dinner there. This sounded fine to me.

Here comes all the glitches: When we visited the sites, it was February, no one was around. We went back for the tasting in June and the place was crawling with Country Cluibbers. I asked if it would be that busy during our wedding, and our coordinator simply said "You won’t notice." Um…yeah, I will. People are swimming, playing tennis, golfing and eating next door. This, in part, was our fault for not asking or thinking to ask this question when we visited initially. 

Then We found out that our original date, May 22, was smack dab i the middle of graduation weekend for the many universities in the area, which meant that we could not get hotel room blocks to save our lives and we were going to have to bus people 40 minutes up and down from Tarrytown so that they wouldn’t have to spend $250 on a hotel room.

FINALLY, our coordinator (who was actually really very nice) emails me and tells me that a "private party" wants to rent out the restauran on the same night as my wedding and that she wanted to give me first choice. I put two and two together and realized that it would probably a graduation party and I really could not deal with that.

We wound up cancelling our wedding there. I asked if we could move it to the Garrison, but the cost is $150 per person with a 150 person minimum on Saturday nights, which, like I said, we would never come close to, and we didn’t want a Friday or Sunday wedding.

Here’s the AWESOME part: somehow, in my initial search, I never considered Bear Mountain State Park. Turns out, they are in the process of completing a million dollar renovation to the Inn. Now, the Inn would be too big for me anyway, but they have another venue, called The Overlook Lodge, which they have finished rennovating. it has a blue slate patio for cocktail hour which you can also use for your ceremony, an indoor ceremony option that looks like a Church (and they don’t charge you extra to use it), 4 stone cottages, which are being rennovated, have 6 rooms each, sleep 12 people each, and have a living room with frig, fireplace, and wet bar. ON TOP OF THAT, the Overlook Lodge has MORE hotel rooms which are being rennovated too. I saw ine that they had finished already and it was really beautifully done – rustic, granite bathroom, comfy.

ALSO – after the wedding, because we are in a state park, there is no sound ordinance and we can bring in our own food and alcohol for an after party, Seriously, how much better can this get?

Best Part – Pricing:

Saturday night at the Overlook Lodge: $99 per person, 75 person minimum. This includes the ceremony, cocktail hour, 4 hour reception. (we are adding some stuff on to the cocktail hour for additional fees.)

We’re also having a private farewell brunch there the next day – which is $29.99 per person but has a sick amount of food and bloody mary’s/mimosa’s.

Apparently, some people have had some issues with booking the Inn, but as I said, I won’t be in there. I think it is slow going and won’t be opened until after next fall or something.

The only thing I am not that happy with is the size of the dance floor. I feel like it’s small and might ask about renting a new one to put over it.

It’s really lovely there too – woodsy, with a big lake, trails, a carousel, and lots of stuff for your guests to do if they want to make it a weekend. I am so excited!

And my hand hurts from feverishly typing! PM me if you have more queestions.

P.S. You can also have you ceremony and reception in the Carousel House if that’s your thing.

http://www.theknot.com/kl_vendordetail.html?id=253246&&vendorsearch=Y&market=074&category=CAR&keyword=HUDSON%20VALLEY

[attachment=449738,60718] [attachment=449738,60719]

Post # 8
14 posts
Newbee

I am also getting married in the area-at The Garrison. We had to go for a Sunday to keep the cost down as you mentioned. Anyone have suggestions for hairstylists? That is what I am looking for now…

Post # 10
4 posts
Wannabee

Hey ladies! 

Like Marisa3 I will be getting married at Bear Mountain Inn June 26, 2010. It has been really challenging planning from Hawaii but my parents are in the area and have been helping out tremendously. We have booked a DJ, Photography and DOC — and will finally be meeting all of them next week! 

We definitely need some bee help in finding an officiant and a reasonably priced hair/makeup team to travel to Bear Mountain for an early morning start (our ceremony starts at 11am). 

We are having a Saturday afternoon wedding (thank you price break!) and will have an ongoing after-party at the stone cottages!

I was also worried about the progress of the renovations since I booked my venue last April before the funding was even approved. My parents have driven up there a few times to get a sneak-peek and so far — things are looking great. Can’t wait to see it myself next week!!

Anyone else having their wedding at Bear Mountain? Any help with vendors?

Thanks 🙂

Post # 11
122 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Hi There!

Getting married at The Garrison, September 12, 2010! So excited. Beautiful place and def will be able to meet the 125 min on a Sunday. 🙂

Post # 12
1 posts
Wannabee

I got married at a great spot in Cold Spring, NY. Just an hour from NYC and near all major roads and 10 min. from Metro North train. It is a private house in a very secluded spot (it borders a State Park) and there is a pool, sauna, lovely grounds. It is not huge but you can stay in the house (4 BR/3 Bth) for the whole weekend (or longer) for the site rental fee and the owners have lots of suggestions (or can arrange for)caterers, tent rental, etc. It’s a pretty nice deal for a small event when you can hang the whole weekend and do all of your events (rehearsal, cocktails, whatever) for just the price of the caterer and you do not need to pay for hotel rooms for three couples (wedding party) and you. (we “catered” the cocktails and rehearsal dinner ourselves anyway). I think it was $2000 for Thursday to Monday for a summer (August) weekend. I can’t find the website but will keep trying.

Post # 13
134 posts
Blushing bee

I am getting married at West Point in June – my fiance will be graduating from there in May. Marisa3, I’m really glad for your sake you decided not to get married on May 22 – the area will be swarmed with people there for West Point graduation – it’s going to be insane I’m sure. June 5 will be much better.

If anyone wants to talk about vendors let me know – I booked all of mine last summer, and West Point is just down the road from Bear Mountain so it’s all local!

Post # 14
115 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Hi Ladies! I am getting married at the Capitol Theatre in July. Does anyone have any advice on cake places? I am thinking of doing cupcakes, but I really have not made that decision. It is my last big vendor to pin down.

Post # 15
216 posts
Helper bee

Hoping to revive this thread… it’s not so often I hear from other Hudson Valley brides!

I am getting married in August at a B&B in the Hudson Valley. I am from Long island and planned the wedding entirely from overseas (I haven’t see the venue yet, but my parents approved). We’re having a small wedding of around 40 guests with the ceremony outside in the B&B gardens and the reception in their ballroom. All our vendors are local, small business owners.

Post # 16
33 posts
Newbee

cherryblossom60 – what b&b? sounds like it will be a lovely and intimate day!

The topic ‘Any 2010 Hudson Valley brides?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors