Any 300+ weddings?! Reassure me!

posted 3 years ago in Parties
Post # 3
435 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

@AngieLuvsAdam:  My advice would be to just do the best you can saying hello quickly. Most people will understand there are a lot of people wanting to congratulate you. 

Good luck. 🙂 I am sure it will be wonderful. 

Your FI is right about the gifts. haha enjoy those! Although I don’t envy the thank you cards you will need. 

Post # 4
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@AngieLuvsAdam:  We’re inviting almost 350 people, cut down from 400 people. I’ve been to a lot of weddings and only one I’ve been to was under 250 people. I love big weddings, they are sooo much fun!! 

Post # 5
830 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

My wedding was larger than that. I did even not get to say hello to every guest.  To this day, DH and I will ask one another – were x and y at the wedding? That being said, we live in a small town where you basically invite the entire community. Our wedding was a fantastic party – and no one seemed to mind that there were so many people it was hard to visit with everyone. People are still coming up to me months post-wedding to tell me what a great time they had. Dont stress it too much. Lots of people usually equals lots of fun!

Post # 6
6525 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

@AngieLuvsAdam:  I could have easily invited over 200 people, but decided that we wanted to enjoy our wedding. I feel that weddings that big become more of a show rather than a celebration. we were happy with 167 people. we got to say hello to everyone, thats the important part.

My aunt has been to several weddings like that and hates them because you don’t get to say hello to everyone unless you extend the party a few hours.

thats my honest opinion.

Post # 7
804 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@AngieLuvsAdam:  My wedding guest list is larger than I would have wanted (though still smaller than yours).  I’ve decided to do a receiving line out of the Church, and then not worry about making small talk with anyone other than the people I want to chat with for the rest of the night.  Also, with a guest list that large, you can often expect as low as a 65% acceptance rate – which brings it down to a more reasonable size.

Post # 8
830 posts
Busy bee

@Polygon:  We also did a receiving line outside the church. Which was an absolute must for me. In spite of having such a large wedding, we had about an 80%(ish) acceptance rate.

Post # 9
568 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

@AngieLuvsAdam:  We invited a little over 300 and had about 235 for the ceremony and 225 stay for the reception which I was told was a generous amount. It was perfect and I am glad we had a lot of our friends and family there! Just make sure you have a big enough venue! Everyone said our wedding seemed very intimate. It is honestly what you make of it. Have a receiving line to get all the small talk out of the way to the people you are not close to and then spend the rest of the night with close friends and family. 

Post # 10
804 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@priyawouldntwannabeya:  Yea – I wouldn’t assume only 65% will come and not budget enough money or space to accommodate everyone – but there’s still a possibility it will be smaller than expected!

Post # 11
458 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

@AngieLuvsAdam:  big weddings aren’t my cup of tea but I think they can still be just a lovely and meaningful a smaller weddings.  My only tip is to really be strategic about decor. Venues that can hold so many people are hard to decorate due to size. I’ve been to two weddings where the space felt very cavernous 

Post # 14
830 posts
Busy bee

@Billsgirl:  I would love to say I had a final head count. Lol. People showed up that said they werent coming, people didnt show up that said they would. People brought guests…..it was a logistical nightmare. BUT, we knew that going in so we had ample seating and a buffet we overestimated on in terms of guests. We invited 498. I would solidly estimate we had at least 350 show up. Probably more like 375+. And not everyone signed the guest book so I will never know 100% for sure.

Post # 15
249 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@AngieLuvsAdam:  I am having a big wedding, and looking at the amount of people can be overwhelming at times, however everyone that my family is inviting are close family. I am having a 400+ wedding (and thats only family) What my FI and I plan to do is have a receiving line before our grand entrance into the reception to greet every guest. In between meals we also plan on going to each and every table and thanking our guests for sharing our special day with us. It wont be intimate, but if you make the effort to see and talk to your guests (even if its for 5mins) then it will show. Guests usually understand that the bride and groom are busy. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors