NWR: Any financial changes/goals for 2014?

posted 3 years ago in Money
Post # 3
4638 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@sienna76:  We’ve had a pricey year with travel, we redid our kitchen and a lot of other home projects, and I spent a lot of money on myself.

Next year, I’d like to save more. We already save quite a bit, but I do spend frivolously and am going to work on saving more.

My FI wants to work harder on our stock portfolio. 2014 will be a year of saving for us.

Post # 4
2419 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Next year is the year of paying off debt for us and saving for a house/wedding. I have a plan that I am going to try my hardest to abide by. But, I should be down to 1 credit card by May. So, fingers crossed it works.

I already put a nice chunk of money into my 401, so I’m not planning on changing that.

Post # 5
2576 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@KC-2722:  +1 on the stopping of frivolous spending.

Other financial goals:

1. Have zero CC debt by first quarter of 2014.

2. Really begin paying down my private student loan ($10k that I plan to have paid by end of 2015 if NOT earlier).

3. Consolidate my federal student loans and really start paying down those balances.

4. Bump up how much I save to have that 6-7 month cushion that financial experts tell you about.

Post # 6
10454 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

The plan is to start filling up the TFSA again, instead of depleting it.  It was at the max, but I think it’s going to be quite a while before I reach that again!

Post # 7
12884 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Just continue to max out both our 401k and Roth IRAs, continue to set aside $500/month each to emergency savings, and investment accounts.  And cut down on the vacations next year.  We’ve been spending 10k a year on travel the past few years and want to cut it in half for next year.  We’re within a reasonable amount to hitting our “magic number” networth, it’s a reach for 2014, but if our investments do well, it could be possible.

Post # 8
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

We have been talking about setting more aggressive savings goals.  DH recently was promoted to a new position which comes with a hefty pay increase, so we are in the process of discussing what to do with our (now higher) disposable income.

Post # 9
2687 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015 - Ketchum, ID

@sienna76:  Save, save, save. We’re going to try to live off of my SO’s salary while we put my pathetic part-time retail paycheck into a savings account. 

Post # 10
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I am so excited about FI and I’s financial goals next year!!! We already contribute 10% each into our 401Ks and Roth 401Ks so we will continue to do that. Starting June, we will switch over to living on one income. The other will be used for saving (2K per month) and paying down our debt (1K per month until debt is gone). I am so excited! We also have 5 weddings to attend plus our own, luckily they are all in driving distance and we aren’t in any. We are on our way to being debt free, building our “Forever” home and babies! oh yeah!

Post # 11
1327 posts
Bumble bee

I absolutely need to save enough for furniture, deposit, and anything else I might need for my own place downtown.

Also, I really want to try to pay off my student loans in 2014, although there’s still 12.7K left, so it’ll be a big challenge. :S

And I’m going to keep putting money into my TFSA, RSP, and employee savings plan.  Ideally, I’d also like to start an emergency savings plan that’ll have 8 months of living expenses…and a wedding fund.

*sigh* So much to save for!

Post # 12
1549 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

My goal is to have 20k in debt paid off in 2014!!! I’m still praying thats possible but who knows. DH really needs that promotion theyve been talking about giving him!

Post # 13
1888 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@sienna76:  GET A JOB!  A REAL JOB!  Right now I’ve been barely treading water with odd jobs, but I’d like a real job, a boring job, where at least I knew when and where I was going to get a paycheck.  That stability would allow me to continue with my writing and other creative projects on my downtime without the constant pressure of finding a job.

Post # 14
2657 posts
Sugar bee

We’re going to finish paying off the wedding expenses and can hopefully save a good bit of money for our rainy day fund.  FI just finished his last student loan a couple of weeks ago and all of our remaining debt is the house and 2 cars.  If we save enough, we may also look into opening an investment account next year.  I plan on increasing my 401k contributions too.  That extra money would be way more useful being invested for retirement rather than being spent on clothes and other unnecessary things.

Post # 15
2042 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@sienna76:  Yep, I plan on paying off my debt. And hopefully ending 2014 with no student loan debt.  I better an amazing paying job!!

Post # 16
2372 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013 - B&B

we just want to save more, and try to do the debt snowball thing.  We MOSTLY only have “good” debt ( I mean I consider the cars good debt because, well, we need them lol) so the first things to go will be those little things that just seem to hang around… one of DH CC’s (he only has a few hundred on it) and my Kohls (damn you Kohls and your sales!!!) But again, thats less than 1k. And, he has two VERY small loans from school. So we are hoping with our tax return, if we get one, those will be GONE and those monthly payments we will roll into my vehicle, and maybe we get my vehicle paid off by the end of 2014! Just a small loan on it so its possible!

Other than that we want to save and save, except for a honeymoon 😀 but hopefully by the end of 2014 we will have a nice cushion in savings, (probably not more than 2-3 months worth) and have gotten rid of a few payments, so that in 2015 we can pay one of our bigger debts down! Either his vehicle or one of the school loans we have, hm… that should put us in a good position, by the end of 2015, to be ready to TTC!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors