Post # 1
This week and next my schedule is going to be pretty insane between work and school. I won’t have much time in between and I would rather not stop and get fast food or something on my way to one or the other. Any suggestions for something easy to make or bring with me as I’m on the go?
I thought about lunch meat sandwiches but I can only handle those so many days in a row. At work we only have an oven and no microwave but I can put stuff in the fridge. I also have access to a hot water tap. That’s about it.
I just want to stay away from overly sugary and overly salty things. I’m trying to eat a little better.
Post # 3
On the go foods
hard boild eggs (make enough for a few days)
bring a container of hummus and sliced veggies
whole wheat pasta salad made with beans and veggies (no mayo, use a vinaigrette)
Make chicken at the beginning of the week and there are some many options… that can be reheated or eaten cold
add to an omelet
dice and add tomato, onion, and bake on a corn tortilla (not fried) till crispy then add lettuce, cucumber, tiny bit of cheese and lime and salsa
mix with red hot buffalo sauce and top on a salad for a buffalo chicken salad
add to stir fries (buy the frozen mixed veggies for easy quick cooking)
add 2 TB of BBQ sauce, slice and eat on top of whole wheat toast, lettuce and shredded cabbage for a BBQ sandwich
make chicken salad using greek yogurt instead of mayo, try celery, red onion, salt, pepper and dill
OR double or adjust these snack ideas
1 cup 0% Greek yogurt with ½ cup frozen raspberries (120+35 = 155 calories)
- 1 slice whole grain toasted with 1 slice 2% pepper jack cheese, 1 large slice tomato, fresh ground pepper (100+50+8= 158 calories)
- 1 medium cucumber with 3 tablespoons hummus (45+105= 150 calories)
- 1 hard boiled egg and a small apple (70+55= 125 calories)
- Tomato, basil and mozzarella salad (1 large tomato, 1 string cheese, 3 fresh basil leaves, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper) (35+80+40+5= 160 calories)
- ½ whole wheat pita pocket filled with 2 tablespoons sliced black olives, 2 tablespoons reduced fat feta cheese, 1/2 cup sliced cucumber, 1 tablespoons diced red onion and 1 leaf romaine lettuce, shredded (70+25+ 40+10+5+5=155 calories)
- 8 medium strawberries and 10 raw almonds (45+90=135 calories)
- ½ red and ½ green pepper sliced dipped in ½ oz gorgonzola cheese mixed with ¼ cup greek yogurt (30+50+30= 110 calories)
- 1 cup lentil soup (150 calories)
- 1 corn tortilla filled with ¼ cup reduced fat refried beans, 1 large slice tomato diced, 1 leaf romaine lettuce, shredded (55+45+8+5= 110 calories)
Post # 4
@lefeymw: Great suggestions!
I will add (sorry if i accidently duplicate):
Almond Butter and Sugar Free Jelly sandwich
Humus and cucumber sandwich
Fruit! Bananas and apples are great for on the go. Also, frozen berries are good
V8 (I like the low sodium)
PB or Almond butter and celery
frozen fruit (I change this up all the time but I always include blueberries)
Orange Juice (simply orange)
Skim Milk (or a non dairy “milk” alternative)
Also, if I have some fruit that is going bad soon I will throw it in their too. I just throw these ingredients together…i dont measure…just eye it. These are so yummy! And put it in a cup with a lid and you can drink it anytime (keep refridgerated if you drink later). also, you can add flaxseed meal, I do this sometimes.
chips and salsa/guacamole
YOu could warm up any leftovers in your oven (chicken, pizza, casseroles, ect)
Post # 6
I take cottage cheese with whole wheat crackers, string cheese, and a banana/carrots a lot. That’s my favorite lunch!