Great UPDATES ladies, I always love reading the WAITING BOARD and hearing good news !!
TO @veryberry13: It sounds like their is a Proposal in the works. May come sooner than you realize. I’m gonna guess he is establishing an email contact with your Dad to ask for his Blessing.
As for your comments on the Rings (and the many many Cs etc, lol)… I seriously suggest that you put the “SU Pact” aside for one day, and have a heart to heart with your guy about a Ring in the future (as he is obviously hinting)
Altho there are some gals who’s guy does all the research and goes out and buys a Ring as a surprise… oftentimes these things don’t go as well as they could.
- Guy doesn’t do a lot of Reading & Research beforehand so he ends up paying too much (Jewellery Store Clerks usually at least partially on commission so it is a field with high pressure sales)
- Guy ends up selecting something that the girl isn’t crazy about as the Salesperson pointed him the direction of “our best seller” (read again, overpriced, or a ring that is being featured for a PUSH by the the Retailer)
- Girl ends up with a ring that she finds she doesn’t love because it isn’t her style / doesn’t suit her (too many posts like that here on WBee)
- Which ultimately leads to the Girl having to tell the Guy… and then his ego is bruised and hurt (this can also lead to resentment, and worse broken Engagements)
- And lastly… many rings ARE NOT RETURNABLE… so once he / you have it you may be stuck with it (and reselling a ring is like buying a car… you drive it off the lot and it drops in value substantially… like 25% to 50% less than what was paid)
And who wants to risk any of that stuff ?
Honestly… I tell Waiting Bees that if you think the ring is coming soon, that you need to talk openly with your guy about that reality. Even if it is just in passing “I hope when the time comes and you are ready, that you’ll consult with me… because a ring is a large investment in our future, and there are so many things to consider besides just the cost… including my sense of style, what will and won’t look good on my hands, my job, etc. I want to wear my ring every day with pride & love for the rest of my life … and so it has to be something that works for me. When the time comes, I hope we can talk about it, and I can show you rings I like”
Then it is UP TO YOU… to do some ring homework as well.
Because ultimately 2 sets of eyes & brains are better than one.
Learn all you can about the traditional 4 Cs… CARAT (Size) – CUT (Shape & Quality) – COLOUR – and CLARITY
Along with CERTIFIED – CONFLICT FREE / CANADIAN
And STYLE & SETTINGS (you will want to go try rings on to see what suits your hand / personality… because what you see in person can be HUGELY different from a Photograph. Wouldn’t be the first girl who thought she wanted one thing, and then realized it didn’t suit her at all)
And lastly but also important… COMFORT and COST
Do both of you a HUGE favour… don’t be a totally passive partner in the process… because otherwise you may end up disappointed and then find yourself wanting to find a “passive agressive” way to change the scenario. And that never seems to go well here on WBee.
Hope this helps,
PS… Great place to start learning about Diamonds is the Blue Nile Website and their EDUCATION Section. Altho I personally wouldn’t buy a Diamond on-line (because I want to see it in person) many gals do. The website tho is great even just for general reference, as they have tons of info about Rings, Settings, and loose Diamonds (you can play around and see how much one would cost as you vary the specs on the various Cs)