- 3 years ago
- Wedding: April 2014
Ok so I am a reasonably intelligent college educated woman so it’s not like I’m stupid. I just lived the last 31 years of my life without paying much attention to weddings or marriage. I’m quiet and shy and I’ve always been kind of a tomboy. So I never thought marriage was all that important and never planned on getting married.
Until I met my fiancé (who will be my husband in 2 weeks!!) 🙂
Anyway, here are just a few of the things I didn’t know about wedding planning when I started this whole adventure back in September:
* When starting to plan a wedding, the very first thing you have to do is put together a guest list. You can’t really plan anything else until this is done.
* Apparently the bride is supposed to set up an elaborate, unique way of asking someone to be a bridesmaid.
* Your fiance’s sister(s) are usually supposed to be bridesmaids.
* The bridal shower and the bachelorette party are 2 different things
* The MOH is supposed to organize the bridal shower
* The florist does more than just flowers and is actually the decorator for the entire event which includes lighting, draping, candles, lanterns, ribbons, or any other type of decoration you want for the wedding. (I wish I had known that because then I wouldn’t have put the florist off til the last minute haha).
* Bridesmaids are expected to pay for their own dresses (I wasn’t sure about whether to add this to the budget or not but I just asked my bridesmaids and they kindly cleared up this issue for me).
* Bridesmaids and groomsmen get a gift from the bride and groom for their part in the wedding
* For some reason it is considered tacky to ask for cash instead of wedding gifts you don’t really need or want
* The bride and groom are expected to dance a lot at the wedding. (Of course I knew that the bride and groom have the first dance in front of everyone but I can’t dance so I thought I just had to get through that and I would be home free. Wrong! That’s ok, everyone will just have to put up with my Robot and Riverdance moves muahahaha. I am not joking)
Looking back, I can’t believe I managed to plan a wedding without too many mishaps haha. I just hope I didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings by making some blunder I didn’t know I was making!
Anybody else have this problem of being ignorant to wedding customs that everyone else seems to know?!
- This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by yup.