(Closed) Anyone else considering pregnancy due to healthcare 2014 reforms?

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: Considering pregnancy b/c of healthcare changes?
    Considering it : (6 votes)
    8 %
    Planning on it! : (3 votes)
    4 %
    No, it won't make a difference for me : (56 votes)
    78 %
    No, there are still too many uncertains : (3 votes)
    4 %
    Now that you mention it... : (4 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    9917 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2013

I think responsible people only have children when they can afford them, and irresponsible people have them whenever.  The responsible people in this case most likely won’t be relying on health insurance they don’t have, and irresponsible people will not think about it.  So no, I don’t think there will be a boom.

Post # 4
    6207 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2013 - The Liberty House

I wasn’t planning on TTC for another few years anyway, so this won’t make a difference for me. I can see how it might for some people though!

Post # 5
    701 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

This doesn’t make a difference for me because we aren’t planning a baby until I am out of grad school. I also already have health insurance, so the birth would be covered anyway.

I do have a friend who is considering having her second child soon because of this reason!

Post # 7
    4150 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

No, health care reform won’t affect my pregnancy plans. I have health insurance, so prenatal care, labor and delivery are fully covered by my insurance.  

Post # 8
    2889 posts
    Sugar bee

I think having health insurance will allow people to responsibly plan for pre-natal care and birth. Like you, many people don’t have health insurance because it’s not offered through their emploteer and mostly cost prohibitive on its own. I don’t imagine there will be a baby boom but who knows. At least the babies will be insured and have helath care from birth so hopefully they don’t have to think about this same issue in the future.

Post # 9
    652 posts
    Busy bee

@red_rose:  I didn’t read too much into the bill, but is it going to raise our taxes? Or raise our insurance in general? I feel that if people have to pour more out of their pocket, it may make them think twice?

Post # 10
    1423 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

I think the fact that pre-exisiting conditions will now be covered when you change providers will have some impact.  For planners like me, the worry that you might need to change jobs and providers, is enough to avoid getting pregnant — at least now there is one less thing to worry about.  It will make it easier for my husband and I to decide to go for it (if we ever do decide to go for it).

Post # 11
    9072 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

Nope. Already had health insurance.

Post # 12
    25 posts
    • Wedding: August 2012

I just want to make sure the OP knows that a person with preexisting conditions (like pregnancy) will be able to BUY insurance Jan.14, not that she will automatically be insured.  You will still need to find a plan and pay for that plan and any out of pocket expenses that come with that plan.  It should be easier to find a plan through the marketplace (i think that’s what they ended up calling it) – but how expensive it will be is anyone’s guess right now, probably similar to the cost of buying individual health insurance now, when you are not pregnant, and therefore, have no preexisting condition (I do know many states have pregnancy riders that make this cost prohibitive, so if that’s why you are waiting for the ACA to start to buy individual insurance, then your plan makes sense but it may still be very expensive)

Post # 14
    424 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

Just because you have health insurance doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t be hit with a big bill.  HDHP’s have a max out of pocket of $6250 this year, and a min deductible of $2500.  It’s not $40,000, but it is pretty hefty.

Post # 16
    5655 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2011

We paid the 3800 out of pocket to my prenatal, birth, & postnatal care through MW this last time around so these changes don’t mean much for us….

And since there are no current coverage changes for Homebirths the reform has no merit on us having children.

The topic ‘Anyone else considering pregnancy due to healthcare 2014 reforms?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors