(Closed) Anyone else doing a 10,000 budget??

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
6598 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

My original budget was 10,000 but once I priced everything out we bumped up the budget to 12,500!

It is still tight but at least this way we can still include all the elements we wanted too, open bar and every guest was invited with a plus 1.

It’s tough but you can do it! I suggest pricing out EVERYTHING first and deciding after you have everything priced out where you are will to splurge and where you are willing to scrimp!

Post # 4
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

My parents are giving us 10k too… right now we are paying for our photographer on our own to account for venue (minimum 9k on a Saturday in September- WOWZA!) Thankfully my mom didn’t account for my dress in the budget but it was a $1300 dress on sale for $500. She’s also doing fake flower bouquets and I plan on doing a lot of DIY projects. It’s nice that my brother got married 2 years ago so we have a lot of money saving tips and contacts who can help us save (re-use centerpiece hurricane glasses, neighbor can get us 1/2 off wedding invitations).

The FIL offered to pay for our cake, DJ, rehearsal dinner and late night snacks… until my future MIL had a breakdown of selfishness and took back the cake & dj. We’ll see how our budget comes out in the end. Is there any way to take down the photography cost? If that includes the book you can really make your own and save almost a $1000 usually. Something to keep in mind.

Good luck!

Post # 5
944 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

For our major stuff:

• Venue: 900
  • Photography: 1,500
  • Dress: 330
  • Catering: 1,250

Everything else just seems to add up.  My parents are paying a portion and we are contributing basically just as much.  While we have wiggle room to expand to $10,000 if we need to, right now everything is accounted for and we are more around the budget of $8,000 though I think.

Post # 6
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Mrs. Martin is right. Our budget was somewhere around 7k and it’s slowly creeping up around 10k. Its doable but you will need to do a lot of research. I’m excited that you got a venue for only 900 though, mine was $3600 lol… that was half my budget right there =) The biggest decision I had to make was to keep the wedding small– you will undoubtedly spend the most of your money on food. Having less people will help you control the costs significantly I think. 
The more things you can do on your own, the better also.  For instance, if you can create your own wedding invitations, you can save a ton of money and really personalize the day. I will probably post pictures of mine when they’re all finished, but I am super excited with my progress so far!  There is also a very helpful bee posting in classifieds to create invitations for a bit of extra money, and you pay what you feel her design is worth.

Google is your friend!

Spreadsheets are your friend!

Patience is your friend! Good luck, you can do it!

Post # 7
11327 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

our original was 10k but we had to bump it up to 13 because it just wasn’t happening with the venues around here. our venue (including rentals, food, alcohol, taxes, and tip) will come out around 7500. photog = 2200. we’re not having a dj or a videographer (ipod wedding, wish us luck!). I’m also diy-ing everything i possibly can. 

Post # 8
411 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I had a $10,000 budget to begin with, but now that I have put a lot of the costs together, it’s a tiny bit over.  It has helped to price everything out and prioritize! 

Post # 9
149 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Our budget started at $10K, but has since inched up a bit. 🙂 We chose to have an outdoor wedding where my parents live (beautiful hilltop setting out in the country) but we knew we wouldn’t necessarily be saving money due to the tent rental costs and all that. Here’s my budget:

tent/lights/decor ~ $2200
flowers ~ $500
tables/chairs/linens ~ $800
catering/alcohol/cake ~ $3400
photographer ~ $1800
my dress ~ $1000
music ~ $400
everything else ~ $1600
TOTAL ~ $11,700

Post # 10
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

We are!! It’ll probably end up more like 12K though. Our venue is about 5K (reception) and our church fees are about $550. My dress was just under 1K. With FI’s suit that brings us up to 7K.

Other things like: rings (1K), flowers ($500), transportation ($500??), invitations ($200), other paper products ($100), hair and makeup ($200), bridal party gifts ($600)… And we’re already up to 10K and surely I am forgetting stuff! 

Post # 11
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Obviously I forgot photography! That’s costing us $1200. So yeah, we’re already over budget lol.

Post # 12
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Ours was $8000 but it’s more like $11,000 now.  We went with a newbee photographer for $1200, our DJ was $550, our venue was $6,000 (bar, catering, tax and tip), cake at $400 and my dress and accessories was under $1000.  Flower are $600 but we are scaling back.  We might reduce our photo package to in efforts to save.  It’s tough to stay on budget!

Post # 14
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

We are just getting started on the planning process but we’re going to try very hard to stay at or below $10k. So far we’ve only booked the venue ($1600), and it’s for both the ceremony and reception. Haven’t booked anything else, yikes!

Post # 15
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Oh and BTW, here’s a great website that features a lot of weddings that are under around $10k. Makes for good inspiration, and it reminds me that I’m not crazy to NOT want to spend so much on one day!

http://thebudgetsavvybride.com/

Post # 16
333 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Our budget started at $10000 but it looks like we are going to come in at $11500 without rings or honeymoon but including rehearsal.  Some money savers for us: my dress was on clearance and fit off the rack, local flower farm for real in season flowers, keeping the guest list small (80 people), putting a cap on the amount of liquor we will be purchasing – cash bar after that point (wine and beer only since the vineyard doesn’t have a hard liqour license), small wedding party, BBQ rehearsal, local artist did our invites for ~$2 each, and professional photog uncle is giving photography as our wedding present.

My advice is try to find friends of family members who may be able to help in certain areas.  Food will be the item to KILL your budget.   

The topic ‘Anyone else doing a 10,000 budget??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors