(Closed) April 6th 2013 – Charleston

posted 5 years ago in South Carolina
Post # 3
645 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I’m already married but I live in Charleston and just wanted to tell you good luck 🙁

You really need to get guests booked as early as possible because rates will go WAY up and everything will get filled! This past years race a bunch of DH’s friends decided to come down and ended up bunking with us because even hotels in Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley were sold out and those that weren’t were going for at least 200/night. This year I will be going away that weekend, downtown is just SOOOOOO busy the day of the race!!!!! Traffic is crazy too so just be careful! 

Post # 4
308 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

This is making me want to change the date……I did not know this 🙁

Post # 5
308 posts
Helper bee

Have you figured anythng out yet? I am so worried now…it seems a lot of things are booked for the 13th.  I just don’t want it to be so crowded and to the point where my guests cant get a hotel room…sigh

Post # 6
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@heyhowyadoingthere:  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but all of Charleston is a zoo during the bridge run!  If it isn’t too much trouble, I would certainly change your wedding date.  Every year thousands of people come to run the race, making downtown Charleston overly crowded and an overall nightmare to get around.  For 2013, I believe the race is being capped at 40,000 runners.

Post # 7
308 posts
Helper bee

Yesterday I must of called everyone to try to reschedule.  Everyone was booked for the rest of April and I already have my honeymoon booked for the 13th.  It’s a mess. I have no idea what to do about the hotel situation.  I am wondering if I should send out the invitations ASAP to get people to book their hotels now before it costs a fortune or is sold out.  They rescheduled the damn race because of Easter 🙁

Post # 9
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@Tiffner:  Deep breath!!  I’m sure it will work out.  Are there ANY hotels in the area that will give you a room block for that weekend?  If so, the rate should be locked in, even if it is on the higher end.  You can also try hotels.com.  It’s a neat website that allows different hotels to offer you bids, which are usually at a discounted rate.  On the main page put in Charleston, SC, your wedding weekend dates, and select 9+ rooms.  It will then prompt you to register and fill out a request form.  Hotels will then “bid” on your room block.  I guess it is worth a shot!  I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you…

Post # 10
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Oh Wow that’s probably the worst weekend!!!  I ended up going with later in the year to avoid all the extra charges that come with Spring and tourist season in Charleston

Post # 11
308 posts
Helper bee

@DorthaC:  The worst part about it is I did my homework..The race was scheduled for the weekend before (Easter weekend) and they moved it after I had already had my major vendors booked.  Thankfully all of my important guests (immediate family and close friends) have hotels booked…thank goodness! 

It has been stressful to say the least!

Post # 12
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

The out of your control issues are definitely the most stressful.  It’s stressful enough with the things you can control for sure!!

The topic ‘April 6th 2013 – Charleston’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors