1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

hahahaa aw, just compromise

Post # 4
27 posts
Newbee

Welcome to marriage lol!!!

Could they make an announcement at the end of the wedding that there will be a receiving line directly after the sword arch?

Post # 5
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

You can do both. I have seen it. Have the archway after the ceremony…. and the receiving line before the reception as guests arrive…. or incorporate it after the archway. It’s been done. You can do it!

The significance of the receiving line is basically a way for his navy friends to welcome you to being a military wife. It’s their formal version of a ‘rite of passsage’ for those who marry while in the military to form commraderie. Not everyone gets to have this honor of having a saber line.

MilitaryWives.com

Post # 6
2641 posts
Sugar bee

Could they line up in the meeting house, so you go through the arch, as you are go back down the aisle?  Then you could proceed to line up at the entrance of the meeting house and form your receiving line.

Post # 7
134 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

The significance has already been stated, but yes the arch signifies safe passage of the couple into military life together. It’s actually one of the aspects of my wedding I am most excited about and it’s true that only certain people can do this ritual. Personally, I think it looks great and has a lot of significance.

I don’t have any great ideas for the timing but I am sure you can find a compromise to work out both. I know your fiance’s ideas are hindering your ideas of a timeline, but to be honest with you I can see why it’s so important to him. It’s important to me and I am not even the person in the military (my fiance is). 

Post # 8
782 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

We are doing the arch of sabers BEFORE even leaving the chapel. The plan is to get married and then once they pronounce us Mr. and Mrs. to have the honor guard guys (and gals!) do their arch very close to the front of the church. That way the guests can all see us pass through and we’ll still continue on our marry way to have the receiving line outside.

I personally can’t wait to go through it! I’m the one who’s pushing for it and my FI is the one in the Air Force! 

Post # 10
134 posts
Blushing bee

Ah okay, I understand a lot better now – from the original post I thought you were talking about the entire tradition, not the timing relative to talking to guests.

That, I am certainly no expert on. What I can say is that the logistics of the arch have played with my mind too! From what I understand, after our ceremony, we’ll recess down the aisle, be in some sort of little area by ourselves (great for immediate newlywed alone time!), the guests will file out, the arch will form, and then we will come through it. We aren’t allowed to have a receiving line at the chapel for time reasons so we will probably end up doing table visits. 

That said, I know you may have already said, but is there a reason a setup like what I just described can’t work, with the addition of a receiving line afterward? Is it possible for you two to "hide", come through the arch, and then do the line? Sorry if I am totally missing more of your logistics – just trying to explain my own impressions of what our arch will be like.

I hope you can find the right solution to have both, especially since the line is so important to your parents. 

Post # 11
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

Can you do the arch right as you are leaving the church with the receiving line just at the end of the arch?  There has to be a mutually satisfactory way to have this organized 🙂  I’m just not familiar with the tradition, so I don’t know what that might be.

I will say that, in general, our fiances ask for so little when it comes to wedding input for the most part.  If mine puts forward an idea, I generally try to go with it as a way of encouraging his participation.  I did put a major stop to the zombie ties though!  ( I still think that was fully legit of me, though).

Post # 14
134 posts
Blushing bee

I am glad to hear that you figured it out! This is the solution we are going with too, since receiving lines aren’t allowed at our chapel with or without our arch, which we’ll also have.

The topic ‘Arch of Sabers & the Receiving Line soooo Frustrated’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors