Are Corsage's a Must in 2014?

posted 3 years ago in Flowers
  • poll: Does anyone other than the bride, groom, bridesmaids and best man HAVE to wear flowers?
    No, its an old tradition that has pretty much died out in modern day society. : (28 votes)
    46 %
    The mob and grandparents should but forget the usher and officiant. : (12 votes)
    20 %
    Yes I think everyone should, its nice to keep the tradition alive even if it seems a little cheesy. : (16 votes)
    26 %
    Yes, what were you thinking? You're going to cause a ruckus the day of! : (5 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 3
    8388 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

@chickadea07:  I did small nosegay bouquets for our moms because corsages were too much of a pain to make (mine were DIY).  If I would’ve had to make something for them to wear, I’d probably just make bracelets.

Post # 4
    3084 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

@chickadea07:  Do they want to wear them? My mom didn’t so we didn’t get any for the mothers, but we thought that it would be a nice gesture for the grandparents. So we are doing the boutineers for the fathers & grandpas.

If your mom(s) want the corsage, then I would just get them. It’s not that much of an added expense and it’s not a big deal, at least to me.

But no, they don’t HAVE to be ordered.

ETA: It’s not really just a symbol of prom. I’ve been to plenty of weddings that had them.

Post # 5
    3570 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I think it’s a small gesture that most people seem to appreciate.  My DH’s grandma was so thrilled we got her one to wear.  I don’t see what the big deal is.  Doesn’t make me think of prom at all. 

Post # 6
    3280 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I think they would appreciate something. I think it’s nice to have the grandparents, parents, etc with flowers as a way to recognize and thank them.

Post # 7
    9526 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

For me, it’s less about tradition or even pretty flowers. It’s more about a nice gesture to make people feel special and included on your wedding day. That’s important to me, so I’m doing bouts and corsages. I DIYd mine, but I think they shouldbe fairly cheap from a florist. Doesn’t needto be anything fancy. But it’s a nice token.

Post # 8
    1175 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@chickadea07:  I am going to do nosegays and bouts.  I don’t like corsages because they do remind me of prom, and I am DIY all of my flowers and they don’t seem to be easy to do.  It is your wedding, if you don’t want to do them, don’t have them.  It is a nice gesture, but I don’t think that you have to do it.

Post # 9
    115 posts
    Blushing bee

I think you should do whatever you want. That’s the fun of being a modern couple! That doesn’t mean tradition is bad, but you should only incorporate it where you want.

Post # 10
    7192 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2013

I think it can be a nice touch for the mothers and grandmothers of the bride and groom if they are done well, but not necessary really.

Post # 11
    7630 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2013

I didn’t do any flowers. I didn’t have a bouquet – both of my parents walked me down the aisle and I didn’t want to juggle two arms and flowers. Plus, you just hand it off at the end of the aisle anyways, I don’t really get why lots of brides spend hundreds of dollars on bouquets. DH thought boutonnieres were for prom so he didn’t get one. Since we chose to go flower-less, we didn’t order any for the family. One person was a bit miffed but they got over it. It was great to be able to cross something else off my list that I didn’t have to worry about! 

Post # 12
    96 posts
    Worker bee

My daughter is doing bouquets for the bridesmaids.  Her FI wants pocket squares as he doesn’t want to wear a boutineer.  There is NO WAY that I would ever wear a corsage.  It just doesn’t feel like me, so I politely told my daughter not to worry about me.  I kind of doubt the MOG is going to want one, but if she does, I have no problem – I don’t feel “excluded” or anything like that.  

The grandmothers are of a different generation, so they would probably appreciate a corsage or a rose, so we will do so for them.

Post # 13
    168 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

@chickadea07:  I think corsages are moreso for your important family members who want them. To me they are a way of letting your family know they are appreciated.For the women on both sides, they are excited about it.The cost is minimal and they love them. So ass far as my family is concerned they are a must. 

If you want something more modern, I have seen some beautiful bracelets on the Bee.I also think clutches are an awesome idea. 

Post # 14
    708 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I think its such a small thing and people appreciate it…it makes them a little bit special on the day, too. After all, without them you wouldn’t be where you are today!

Also, we took real bouquets to prom, so the corsage argument is invalid to me.

Saying that, I don’t think anyone will raise a huge stink if you dont get them. But whats a few bucks to make the older generations happy?:)

Post # 15
    9137 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@chickadea07:  If you’re paying then cut them out.  We cut out the corsages and bouts for the parents and grandparents as well as bouts for the groomsmen.  It just seems like a waste of money when we have such a small budget.

But if mom is picking up the tab I would let her order corsages and bouts for the parents and grandparents and whomever else she wants them for.  let her spend her money however she wants.

Post # 16
    789 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We didn’t do them and no one said anything. i gave my Mom and MIL gorgeous bracelets to wear and they were super happy with them.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors