- 8 years ago
- Wedding: April 2011
Seriously. Let’s consider the pros of a diamond engagement ring:
1. They’re shiny and sparkly!
2. They’re “classic” and “traditional” as far as engagement rings go. If you have one on your ring finger, people know what it means.
3. Lots of ring options available.
4. They’re usually colorless, so they go with any outfit. (Not that it matters to me per se, but it may to other bees)
5. They’re super hard and durable. They don’t scratch (but they can chip). They’re sort of like the stainless steel appliances of the jewelry world.
1. The DeBeers cartel. It’s a serious problem.
2. “Conflict diamonds.” (any gem could be a “conflict gem,” but diamonds are the most popular and therefore the most conflicted/documented)
3. The astronomical price, no thanks to DeBeers.
Other things to consider:
1. Ummmm…virtually every other gem is shiny and/or sparkly? And those that aren’t (turquoise, pearls, etc.) are still gorgeous in their own right.
2. Cubic zirconia, zircon, moissanite, certain types of garnet and quartz, and other gems can look exactly like diamonds for a fraction of the cost.
3. Diamonds aren’t rare. They’re no rarer than any other gem (once again, DeBeers).
4. Personally, if I were a gem, I would find the whole ‘diamonds are forever’ and ‘diamonds are a girl’s best friend’ mindset downright offensive. Why can’t aquamarine be a girl’s best friend, or emeralds or rubies or sapphires, eh?! Let’s have a little variety in our gemstone loyalties!
5. The saturation of the enagement ring market with diamonds can take away from the personality of the stone and the ring.
6. Other gems have a strength almost equal to the diamond. Cubic zirconia in particular is virtually indistinguishable from a diamond in terms of the 4 Cs…they’re getting to the point where experts can’t tell the difference even with special equipment.
I’m asking honestly, all things considered…was the diamond engagement ring worth it, for those ladies who have one? Or for those ladies who have non-diamond engagement rings, does it make a difference to you? How much of the value of diamonds is constructed and how much do you think is genuine?
I couldn’t find any threads on this topic and it seemed like an important one. 🙂
…From my perspective, I had never thought about not getting a diamond. It was just something that was assumed. But the more I thought about it, and the more I found out about the diamond industry, the more I liked the idea of the non-diamond engagement ring. An emerald/CZ ring would be fabulous and wallet friendly. Then again, people who don’t have diamonds are swiftly judged. And I’m not judging those who have diamond engagement rings, this is just something that’s come up on my radar in the last month or two. Ultimately, what matters to me is that my man is giving it to me. That’s where the real value is.
[/longest post evah]