Are there good videographers/cinematographers in big cities for under $2500?

posted 3 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: To be able to see and hear those key moments clearly will probably cost:
    under $1000 from a vendor in major metro area : (2 votes)
    18 %
    $1000-1990 from a vendor in major metro area : (3 votes)
    27 %
    $2000-2990 from a vendor in major metro area : (3 votes)
    27 %
    $3000-3500 from a vendor in major metro area : (1 votes)
    9 %
    over $3500 from a vendor in major metro area : (2 votes)
    18 %
  • Post # 3
    152 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

We live in Vancouver and we had ours done by a couple who was just starting out with wedding videography and they charged us $400 (plus travel and accomodations). You might be able to find a student or something similar who would do it at a discounted rate. Another option is to use a company like 

Here’s our video just to give you an idea: 

It was six hours of footage and they gave us a preview (3 mins), a full video (9:15) and one of our ceremony, as well as the raw footage.

I hope this helps! Happy planning!

Post # 4
    232 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

We negotiated for a lower price (in Chicago) by designing a more limited video package that still met our needs.  It was 5 hours rather than the standard 8, but still included an edited DVD with music.  We basically just eliminated all the pre-ceremony video.  Our total package cost us $1900, including a half-hour edited version plus a second DVD with all the unedited footage.  If your preferred videographer has a full-price client for your date, you’re probably out of luck, but if they don’t, I’m guessing they’re open to negotiation since they’d rather have a lower-paying client than no client at all.  Good luck!

Post # 6
    10384 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

All major metro areas are not created equal. I’d expect places like Houston, Dallas, Denver, Atlanta, etc to be priced quite differently than NYC, Boston, San Fran, LA, etc. Most videographers we looked at in San Diego that stayed the whole night were over $3k. If you only want the ceremony you’ll have more budget flexibility. If you want someone with less fancy gear/less experience you’ll pay less still.

Post # 7
    2973 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@crayfish: This. 

Our photog/videog package includes a lot of stuff, and came at over $7K. I was prepared for up to $5K…but this kinda hit me like a ton of bricks lol. Luckily, it was a present from FILs and they insisted that we get “the best” so that’s what we did. I hope. 

Post # 9
    3633 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I’m in Southern California and one vendor we considered was around the $2k range (for a basic wedding video) and his was pretty good. The audio was clear and the camera wasn’t shaky. Was it AMAZING and tear-jerking? No, but for the price, it was quite good.

That said, everyone else below that had shaky footage and that is a deal killer for me. The lowest I could find was about $1.3k and it definitely was basic or a step above a first year film student at a good school.

Post # 10
    362 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

I’ve read good reviews about Urban Wedding Company.

Apparently, they have videographers/photographers throughout different regions of the US and don’t charge a travel fee. Their most expensive videography package is $2K. I’m actually going to contact them for my Honolulu wedding.

Post # 11
    463 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

If there is a film school around, you could try a film student.  Sounds scary, but my wedding planner has one she’s worked with actually a few times, so she does have some chops…and only $1k in SoCal.  I thought her video was quite good!

Post # 12
    1773 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Mine was $625, I live in the capital of the state I live in and he does amazing work!

Post # 12
    1 posts
    • Wedding: October 2015

2BeeMrsE:  Hi – would you mind letting me know the contact for the ‘film student’? Thanks!

Post # 13
    585 posts
    Busy bee

Shkragoldfish:  We negotiated ours down to just what we needed/wanted. My big things were the highlight video and at least 6 hours of coverage, but I still wanted full coverage of the ceremony and speeches.

6 hours of coverage with 2 videographers with full coverage and highlight reel would be $2,400.

I got her down to $1,900 by eliminating the 2nd videographer. You usually have to pay them anywhere from 100-300/hr, so that is a huge cost.

Forgot to mention I am in one of the largest cities in the US…just to put it into perspective 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  texaslemon.
    Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors